Toronto the most miserable city in Canada: Study

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score

Nov 26, 2010

By Michael Bolen

ca.gif

Read More: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/yahoocan...onto_the_most_miserable_city_in_canada__study

PDF Study: http://www.csls.ca/executivesummary_cslsreport2010-09.pdf

Bigger may not be better after all. A study conducted by the Canadian Centre for the Study of Living Standards has concluded what many Canadians have long believed: That Toronto is the most miserable city in the country. Despite having the country's largest GDP and population, the megacity ranks lowest on the happiness scale. The study used data from the Canadian Community Health Survey for 2007 and 2008 to determine the happiness of various regions of Canada and the factors which contribute to the variation.

While Toronto came in at the bottom of the list (Sherbrooke, Que., was at the top), citizens of the megacity can take comfort in the fact, on average, they remain a fairly happy bunch. Toronto scored a 4.15 out of 5 on the happiness scale while Sherbrooke scored a 4.37. This means citizens in the happiest city were only about 5.5 per cent happier than in the least contented.

The study also hinted at the reasons for Toronto's relative unhappiness. A key finding of the study is that "the most important reason for geographical variation in happiness in Canada is differences in the sense of belonging to local communities, which is generally higher in small CMAs, rural areas, and Atlantic Canada."

iphoto_1288374167257-1-0jpg.jpg

wow, what am earth shattering survey. These surveys are so dumb. Basically all I read from this is that Sherbrooke folks are 5% happier than Torontonians. Big whoop. But to call people in Toronto miserable is ridiculous.We are a complex city, and most Canadians dont really understand life in the big city, so they think we must be miserable with all the congestion, small spaces and lack of neighbourly love.:)

Good grief ... have you ever spent any time in Sherbrooke? If you don't own a car, it's pretty miserable!

This is, in reality, a rather ugly jab at Toronto because by their own methodology 4.15/5 is a positive score, hence the word "miserable" is completely inappropriate, even if you can find some more unsatisfied people in Toronto. Peoples' expectations in Toronto tend to be quite high in terms of employment and lifestyle. The people behind this study need to grow up and stop engaging in petty mudslinging.

I should also note that we should do more for our happiness like polishing up streetscapes and public spaces, restoring old buildings, and expanding rapid transit.

I lived in Quebec i don't think happy people exist there! Always complaining about something. I find the majority of people in toronto rather friendly and happy compared to other big cities i have visited.

"Miserable" is a dumbed-down, deceptive, misunderstood substitute for "it's complicated"

If you read the actual report (you have to go to the website's main page and then get it from there) you can skim and see what they have to say.

The difference is minor, and is entirely explained by
a) stress levels (Torontonians are rather stressed)
b) Low marriage rates (Torontonians have a lower probability of being married or common-law, marriage apparently= happy)
c) Low sense of community (inherent in a big city).

The same is true in Vancouver, which is second-to-last (slightly higher sense of communty, but substantially lower marriage rate)

"happy" is not the same as "content" either. One can be emotionally happy but not particularly content about lifestyle, income, etc. Both are hugely subjective and very difficult to nail down.

.. and just to think, I was conceived in Sherbrooke and born in Toronto. The downward spiral started when my parents moved here while they were expecting me. Damn!!!

These surveys are a joke. Someone had some time on their hands. I never have time on my hands, I am a busy Torontonian ... :cool:

Obviously the article is a feel good article for the rest of Canada. Glad we could help you miserable SOBs.

Very true, the rest of Canada loves to hate Toronto. As an outsider and frequent visitor I'd say it is the best place to live in Canada.

I see their point about stress though, I'm sure it's harder to be a fish in the biggest pond than say Portage la Prairie.

This is, in reality, a rather ugly jab at Toronto because by their own methodology 4.15/5 is a positive score, hence the word "miserable" is completely inappropriate, even if you can find some more unsatisfied people in Toronto. Peoples' expectations in Toronto tend to be quite high in terms of employment and lifestyle. The people behind this study need to grow up and stop engaging in petty mudslinging.

I should also note that we should do more for our happiness like polishing up streetscapes and public spaces, restoring old buildings, and expanding rapid transit.

yet another reason to separate from this backwater country

Nov 26, 2010

By Michael Bolen

ca.gif

Read More: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/yahoocan...onto_the_most_miserable_city_in_canada__study

PDF Study: http://www.csls.ca/executivesummary_cslsreport2010-09.pdf

Bigger may not be better after all. A study conducted by the Canadian Centre for the Study of Living Standards has concluded what many Canadians have long believed: That Toronto is the most miserable city in the country. Despite having the country's largest GDP and population, the megacity ranks lowest on the happiness scale. The study used data from the Canadian Community Health Survey for 2007 and 2008 to determine the happiness of various regions of Canada and the factors which contribute to the variation.

While Toronto came in at the bottom of the list (Sherbrooke, Que., was at the top), citizens of the megacity can take comfort in the fact, on average, they remain a fairly happy bunch. Toronto scored a 4.15 out of 5 on the happiness scale while Sherbrooke scored a 4.37. This means citizens in the happiest city were only about 5.5 per cent happier than in the least contented.

The study also hinted at the reasons for Toronto's relative unhappiness. A key finding of the study is that "the most important reason for geographical variation in happiness in Canada is differences in the sense of belonging to local communities, which is generally higher in small CMAs, rural areas, and Atlantic Canada."

iphoto_1288374167257-1-0jpg.jpg

For a so-called non profit Centre based in Ottawa, I'd say the language is miserable.

Back