Toronto The Livmore | 138.68m | 43s | Vertica | IBI Group

There's also the lot on the north side of Edward Street on the west side of Bay St., across from the bus terminal. Seems to me that's been there forever too, I've no recollection of what used to be there.

Elgin Ford had a used car and repair shop facility there in the middle of the block while the south end of the block was used for parking buses. I believe soil remediation is required. It will be a glorious day when that lot gets developed

No one will want to live there until the coach terminal is gone. I don't recall if the Conservatory Group still owns that lot.

It is true that the market has changed since the last time that the Conservatory Group tried and failed to sell condos here. If they do still own it, they're happy to take the money it makes as a parking lot for the time being it would seem.

I recall an application to see what could be built with as of right zoning so that lot could disappear pretty quick. Don't know if it's still owned by the uber rich Libfelds but, they definitely are more subtle and relaxed than other developers

Here is a 70s picture of Bay and Elm I found on Vintage Toronto. On the far left, there is the government building where the Royalton condos stand now; it looks like the Gulf gas station was on the SE corner of Bay and Gerrard.

station.jpg

Attachments

• station.jpg
    station.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,585
The Elgin Motors building was designed by the prolofic John B. Parkin Architects.

Last edited by a moderator:
That pic shows how small downtown Toronto was back in the 70s. A car dealership and a gas station on Bay near Gerrard! Which is odd because even then Toronto had 2.5 million people.

Circa 1960 (top right):

POSTCARD+-+TORONTO+-+HOSPITAL+FOR+SICK+CHILDREN+-+AERIAL+-+NOTE+ALL+THE+PARKING+LOTS+-+c1960.jpg

Attachments

• POSTCARD+-+TORONTO+-+HOSPITAL+FOR+SICK+CHILDREN+-+AERIAL+-+NOTE+ALL+THE+PARKING+LOTS+-+c1960.jpg
    POSTCARD+-+TORONTO+-+HOSPITAL+FOR+SICK+CHILDREN+-+AERIAL+-+NOTE+ALL+THE+PARKING+LOTS+-+c1960.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 946

Back