Toronto The HUB | 258.46m | 59s | Oxford Properties | Rogers Stirk Harbour

Technically 16 York went ahead on spec without a secured tenant however, I'm positive they were deep in negotiations with several tenants and started early in order to meet the tenant's time frame.

They didn't waste the opportunity to tell everyone they were going ahead on spec either.

This is why I enjoy AoD's posts.
So few people can use vierendeel columns in a sentence!

I didn't use it per se - I am quoting it as the proponent used it in their report. I first learned of the term from literature around Foster's HSBC HQ project, which also used vierendeel columns.

AoD

It says he is he hopes he will be announcing a tenant soon - which sounds like "developer speak" for "we have a tenant".

The structural elements should make this stand out without taking into account the glazing - which I am presuming will be low iron rather than the usual green glass in the residential projects around the area. And from the street level the semi-exposed coloured cores will pop in a way that I can't think of having any office tower precedent.

They actually mentioned vierendeel columns in the Planning Rationale make me swoon.

AoD

Still, from the Islands it might look like a different shade of grey with two faint lines on top. It could use a more unique shape and colour.

The structural elements should make this stand out without taking into account the glazing - which I am presuming will be low iron rather than the usual green glass in the residential projects around the area.

AoD

I almost wish there still was the “usual green glass”. What I am seeing these days is a fog bank of grey spandrel! Grey, Grey Grey! Do they think we all love November!

(Rant concluded and eyeballs returned to sockets.)

Last edited:
Bronze is a handsome colour. So is terracotta. A bit more gold would not go amiss. There are wonderful shades of green and blue that rarely show up in our buildings. Or more red as an accent, as in E Condo or Picasso. Or yellow. Yellow is cheerful. I like yellow. Along the lakeshore maybe some pastels, like a Mediterranean or Caribbean town. Grey and seagreen are not the only choices.

Bronze is a handsome colour. So is terracotta. A bit more gold would not go amiss. There are wonderful shades of green and blue that rarely show up in our buildings. Or more red as an accent, as in E Condo or Picasso. Or yellow. Yellow is cheerful. I like yellow. Along the lakeshore maybe some pastels, like a Mediterranean or Caribbean town. Grey and seagreen are not the only choices.

This is what I'm saying.

Let's not lose focus in colours. This is an exceptional tower for Toronto even if it ends up a grey on grey on grey box.

The bronze glass boom came before green glass boom. See Knightsbridge Road (?) in Mississauga (although calling it bronze may be stretch)
Red and yellow are fine and dandy however, people have to live in these towers. Lots of sun facing the waterfront. Should ask the owners facing the waterfront in Waterclub how it feels to have everything tinted blue.

Let's face it. Glass is king for the next while

Let's not lose focus in colours. This is an exceptional tower for Toronto even if it ends up a grey on grey on grey box.

The bronze glass boom came before green glass boom. See Knightsbridge Road (?) in Mississauga (although calling it bronze may be stretch)
Red and yellow are fine and dandy however, people have to live in these towers. Lots of sun facing the waterfront. Should ask the owners facing the waterfront in Waterclub how it feels to have everything tinted blue.

Let's face it. Glass is king for the next while

Well, OK, but let’s not pretend that greyness is in any way a plus.

Back