Toronto The Florian | ?m | 25s | Mirabella Dev Corp | Hariri Pontarini

My driveway is made out of Patterned Concrete. I watched them laying it in 2006. Simply, they dump 'tons' of wet concrete, then smooth it out, and then laboriously stamp it with wooden molds that are texterized to look like a variety of materials. Our driveway is 'brick', 'limestone' and 'cobblestone'.

They randomly and generously scatter a powder dye in a certain area (reddish/brown) for the 'brick' section, and lighter grays for the stone. It's so detailed, it's nearly impossible to even understand that you're looking at concrete, regardless of whether or not you know you are. The brick section even has mock brand-names 'stamped' into the brick, as if they were fresh from an early 1900's quarry, like the brick-works.

http://www.patternedconcrete-miss.com/

My driveway is made out of Patterned Concrete. I watched them laying it in 2006. Simply, they dump 'tons' of wet concrete, then smooth it out, and then laboriously stamp it with wooden molds that are texterized to look like a variety of materials. Our driveway is 'brick', 'limestone' and 'cobblestone'.

They randomly and generously scatter a powder dye in a certain area (reddish/brown) for the 'brick' section, and lighter grays for the stone. It's so detailed, it's nearly impossible to even understand that you're looking at concrete, regardless of whether or not you know you are. The brick section even has mock brand-names 'stamped' into the brick, as if they were fresh from an early 1900's quarry, like the brick-works.

http://www.patternedconcrete-miss.com/

Stamped concrete paving is the easiest to recognize for the fakery it is, with its unnatural colour, lustre, feel, and aging process. Most obvious are the cuts, which many contractors don't even align with the the fake gaps between the imitation stones or bricks. I'd rather have plain concrete than such an obvious and cheesy imitation, before I move on up to a better alternative.

^ I thought so at first when I first heard of the plans, but trust me, as someone who does not value cheap trickery in building materials, this is quite well done. You are correct with the cuts; they're quite obvious, but it's better than the driveway pressure cracking after a year, and to be honest, unless you're staring down at the ground, you don't notice the lines, and when you do, you appreciate that they're there.

Check out their website; the gallery shows how real it can come across. It also requires no upkeep (weeding, organizing, graveling) and is guaranteed for, well, a good amount of time afterwards.

Shot Jan 26
5391319331_107f39b896_b.jpg

5391317287_a5d1f04786_b.jpg

5391915630_594b696840_b.jpg

5391310283_41d21bea71_b.jpg

5391909362_2fc137a303_b.jpg

5391308257_ebfe05c323_b.jpg

5391309281_cd2f36e0eb_b.jpg

Great shots, These are definitely the "heydays" for the concrete companies of the GTA. I don't know how they can even keep up with all that is going on..

Great shots, These are definitely the "heydays" for the concrete companies of the GTA. I don't know how they can even keep up with all that is going on..

I remember, I think it was last year, DUFFERIN CONCRETE in Markham (on Woodbine Ave) shut down their facility to do an expansion/upgrade to their current facility. I'm sure this was necessary to keep up with the demand for their product.

Black brick!!! I love black brick facades. It can be so mid-century modern, if done right.

Last edited:

Back