Toronto The Charles at Church | 152.7m | 47s | Aspen Ridge | BDP Quadrangle

I've come to appreciate the facadism in Toronto for a few reasons:

1. The contrast between old and new, small and big, can be quite striking
2. We simply wouldn't get good, interesting ground level architecture without it (I agree that I wish this wasn't the case, but given the ample evidence of how buildings in Toronto without facadism generally meet the street, it's just a reality. Whether that's due to Toronto architects or developers or both, I don't know)
3. It is (somewhat) unique. Which is a positive given Toronto struggles at times to stand out from other large cities (including in architecture).

I actually really like it in this instance in particular.
I fully agree. There are some failed attempts to be sure, but most is well done with the result being much more depth and character than if it was not used (look at the new TD Terrace building for example and compare the façadism side with the non-facadism side). The side where they preserved the facia is much more engaging and interesting.

I've travelled a lot and find it a positive and unique element of Toronto.

I like facadism...I just don't think it is always necessary. Sometimes the new and the old just don't compliment each other well.
True. That said, I'm surprised you don't like it with this build. The heritage here is gorgeous and nicely restored so far, and will be a striking corner when complete. The building is also set back far enough that it gives the heritage space to breathe and feel distinct. It's different than a lot of other façadism designs, but in a good way imo.

I wish this facadectomy would go somewhere and die. It's cool if done right, but this is just ridiculous. This thing looks utterly ridiculous.
Though I am not always keen on facadectomies, this one looks good to me, from the photos. I will wander over to inspect it in person in the next few weeks but 'so far, so good' in my opinion.

Back