Toronto The Carlaw | ?m | 12s | Streetcar | TACT Architecture

Thanks for posting that, rdaner!

I went to the DTAH site and found these higher resolution photos:

Crows_ExteriorView-Night-Revised_Feat.jpg

Source: DTAH

Crows_Lobby_Gallery.jpg

Source: DTAH

I think this is a better indication on how the building will turn out at street level. The columns here are square vs round in the original rendering by streetcar.

Anyway, from the Crows Theatre page on the DTAH website:
Nestled in the ground floor and first parking level of a new 12-storey condominium in Leslieville, Crow’s Theatre is designed to be a versatile facility that will house three venues for cultural and neighbourhood programming and events: a 3,000 sq.ft., 200-seat, multi-configurational theatre; a 1,400 sq.ft. studio space for rehearsals, intimate performances, and community programming; and a 2,500 sq.ft. open concept lobby with a supporting gallery bar and café.

Special attention to soundproofing details were required to overcome the acoustical challenges of sharing the performance venue’s new home with the building’s residential population. One of the first arts facilities to receive funds through Section 37, the agreement allows the City to approve the increased density and height in exchange for the benefits the new cultural hub will offer to the community. For a third of the year the hub will offer theatre – for the other two-thirds it will be available for community activities. Crow’s Theatre will adopt a unique model for a venue of this type by integrating revenue generating features in the facility’s design, and also offer low cost tickets in light of limited public funding.

Attachments

• Crows_ExteriorView-Night-Revised_Feat.jpg
    Crows_ExteriorView-Night-Revised_Feat.jpg
    965.3 KB · Views: 2,146
  • Crows_Lobby_Gallery.jpg
    Crows_Lobby_Gallery.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 2,147
Interesting about it being on the P1 level. I guess that's where the performance space will be? Judging by my walk-by of the site, I have a hard time figuring out exactly where it is.

Anyone have the new renderings of how the rooftop will look? From what I gather its half the original size and the indoor space got eliminated and replaced with private terraces being offered with units.
Lots have changed here folks to the worst unfortunately. ...

Anyone have the new renderings of how the rooftop will look? From what I gather its half the original size and the indoor space got eliminated and replaced with private terraces being offered with units.
Lots have changed here folks to the worst unfortunately. ...

And purchasers have to just STFU and take it. Pre-con truly is a scam.

And purchasers have to just STFU and take it. Pre-con truly is a scam.

I came across a similar situation when I moved into my first condo, Boutique.

The renderings showed a BEAUTIFUL rooftop terrace space, unfortunately the finished product looked nothing like it. Apparently there were issues with final permits and so a lot of the initial concepts weren't allowed to be implemented.

I then moved into Charlie, and both indoor and outdoor spaces looked exactly like the renderings. I was blown away.

At the end of the day I rarely used either amenity spaces. I still have my own gym membership and rarely use any of the other facilities offered. It's definitely a nice to have and I SHOULD be using it more since I am paying condo fees towards it.

The lobby, on the other hand, is what I feel passionate about. Since it's a visitor's second impression of the building (after observing the outside) I hope that it remains true to the vision of the renderings. Boutique and Charlie did a great job with the lobby. I'm wondering if Streetcar will stay true to their vision since the lobby rendering was spectacular.

Good find. Looks like they will give it a face lift and sell. Hmm. I wish streetcar would demo it and build 3 story towns..
at least they will improve the look as its an eye sore as it..

Some pics from earlier today:

15553803434_ed839c0e63_b.jpg

16174295151_8e1597ab58_b.jpg

15990110349_3a5b1aebdf_b.jpg

16176176935_ce8d764b74_b.jpg

I have to admit that I quite like this building. The use of multiple cladding materials makes this development interesting to look at. If only they used the proposed curtain wall..

Anyway, on a bright day the masonry brick has a brown tinge to it!

Have they completed pouring all the floors? Not a bad looking building.

Yup, all the floors have been poured. I think the last two floors are missing windows, but other than that it's going to be mostly interior work for the next few months.

I wonder if the projected occupancy date of May 2015 will happen..

Wow. They got this up quick.
Im not sure about how the difference in look it would of been if they used the curtain design but it sure resembles one.
Looks like the outdoor amenity space is much bigger too.

Wow. They got this up quick.
Im not sure about how the difference in look it would of been if they used the curtain design but it sure resembles one.
Looks like the outdoor amenity space is much bigger too.

That worries me. I do like the brick area. The glass is a disappointment, though. Looks kind of like an office building to me.

Back