Toronto The Britt Condos | 142.03m | 41s | Lanterra | Arcadis

Pics taken July 12, 2018

WZSqMPl.jpg

aWzrmwu.jpg

I walk by this all the time. The stonework detail in the podium is terrible. Many pieces with chips and chunks missing. Just sloppy work. I will not bother commenting on the disgusting tower.

Wow. Every time we see new pictures, this looks worse and worse. I was once able to justify updating the old building as I did not think it was the most successful example of brutualism. But the trade-off has not been fair. Between the overly busy "post-modern" base and the acres of grey windowless wall, this is a disaster.

I got a good gander in person at this yesterday. The pictures look good compared to the actual thing. I started at it for 2-3 minutes just wondering how someone got this so wrong. It's really bad.

*Lanterra, laughing to themselves, not even pretending to care*

"Yeah, once we did Murano and Burano we eventually just realized, the money is just way too damn good."

But hey - "Architecturally, The Britt will rise with soaring elegance above the intersection of Bay and Wellesley, offering spectacular panoramic views of the city skyline. An articulated façade clad in iridescent blue glass and sleek lines of stone and steel makes a classic statement of distinction."

Such Barbican Centre lovely, iridescent grey spandrel.

AoD

The podium along Wellesley Street is a major improvement compared to the concrete bunker that was there previously. Unfortunately everything above the podium looks like a penitentiary.

Back