Toronto The Britt Condos | 142.03m | 41s | Lanterra | Arcadis

Under what pretense are they attempting to block this? They've been there for a long time?

I don't like what this project is doing to the Sutton but these people are ridiculous.

Funny how we seem to be experiencing a dearth of good architecture/architects at the same time we are experiencing a building boom. Or I guess it was inevitable. Either way, it is a shame. I think Sutton Place fits well on Bay St. I like the signage on top and remember it well from my U of T days. My mother had her graduation party at Sutton Place many years ago, well before my time. I guess I'll be breaking the news to her.

The Britt is in the basement for me when it comes to listing the worst of the worst of this condo boom. It's right down there and just as hideous as pretty much any Liberty Village tower, some of the City Place clunkers, King Blu and all the rest. They know who they are.:(

Do renters have any legal recourse if they've lived in a rental building like this for 30 years?

If the owner or landlord follows the Residential Tenancies Act as described anything over and above is gravy for the residents. Of course the rentals have to be replaced, which they are doing. I feel for them because it is their home but they are pushing their luck here by holding out for a large compensation package. Buildings are converted to condos, altered and demolished all the time, this is getting attention because it's a high profile location.

Funny how we seem to be experiencing a dearth of good architecture/architects at the same time we are experiencing a building boom. Or I guess it was inevitable. Either way, it is a shame. I think Sutton Place fits well on Bay St.

I wish they'd leave this one alone too. It's one of the few buildings on Bay with some charm/character. Regarding architectural quality, when there's tons of demand they really don't have to try too hard. I suspect when demand starts to dip that we'll see firms try harder to sell their buildings by employing superior design than the competition.

According to the article the renters were offering at least $100,000 to move out. I think that is extremely generous as they are renters and don't own their units. I haven't heard of any renter being offered that much to vacate.

What I am really shocked about this development is that selling prices for these rather mediocre condo units are over $800/sq.ft.
I doubt there is a huge demand for this kind of product at this price especially when the market is returning to more realistic and sustainable level. The developer is heavily banking on the mystique of the Sutton Place, but the new building has stripped all of that history and charm behind all of their pretensious marketing.

I'm surprised they didn't incorporate a small chic boutique hotel into the building, similar to the kind you find in NYC. It's a shame the Sutton being stripped of its old world grandeur. Like isaidso said, it's one of the few buildings on Bay with some charm/character.

Would probably need something gaudy and bizarre to match the klassiness of Britt's branding though. This comes to mind, but more anglophile instead.

What I am really shocked about this development is that selling prices for these rather mediocre condo units are over $800/sq.ft. I doubt there is a huge demand for this kind of product at this price especially when the market is returning to more realistic and sustainable level.

From my observations I would guess that the demand is from U of T (and perhaps Ryerson) students renting out these units, that is why they are being packed in more tightly than the existing units and being reduced in size. Lanterra is becoming a de-facto U of T landlord. Since Murano and Burano were completed, on my walks to and from work I would say about three-quarters of the people I see coming out of those buildings (and RoCP as well) are Chinese students, with a smattering of couples and families.

Ages ago when I was attending U of T I was sharing a small basic dorm at University College and eventually upgraded to my own dark basement apartment in the Annex.
Students are now renting brand new luxury high-rise condos packed full of hotel-like amenities? Wow, times has changed.

Ages ago when I was attending U of T I was sharing a small basic dorm at University College and eventually upgraded to my own dark basement apartment in the Annex.
Students are now renting brand new luxury high-rise condos packed full of hotel-like amenities? Wow, times has changed.

Yeah, pretty much. I, and several classmates rented studios or split a 2 bed in Pantages, 1 City Hall and The Met during my Ryerson days ('05-'09). People I knew at UofT were all in the Bay St corridor, particularly Residences of College Park. Rents back then for a studio were $1100-$1200, a one bed around $1500. They are about a few hundred more now.

Last edited:
According to the article the renters were offering at least $100,000 to move out. I think that is extremely generous as they are renters and don't own their units. I haven't heard of any renter being offered that much to vacate.

What I am really shocked about this development is that selling prices for these rather mediocre condo units are over $800/sq.ft.
I doubt there is a huge demand for this kind of product at this price especially when the market is returning to more realistic and sustainable level. The developer is heavily banking on the mystique of the Sutton Place, but the new building has stripped all of that history and charm behind all of their pretensious marketing.

Wow...$100K? I'd be gone in a heart beat. Hell I'd leave my place right now if I was offered $100K over what it's worth.

Anyways...this development IMO will be a dud. Not only does it look like crap, but I have yet to see a Lanterra project that didn't have interiors that looked like they were from home depot. Yes, even the expensive One Bedford. So $800+? Yea right.

Not sure it's been mentioned but I was told today a Shopper's Drug Mart will be part of the retail here.

As much as there seems to be a Shopper's on every corner, this is actually a pretty good location for another. It will be well used by Queen's Park office drones and those who live along upper Bay.

As much as there seems to be a Shopper's on every corner, this is actually a pretty good location for another. It will be well used by Queen's Park office drones and those who live along upper Bay.

Hmm...I guess. Are Yonge/Charles, Yonge/Bloor, Yonge/Carlton all too far?
Doesn't bother me (other than the sheer blandness of so many Shoppers Drug Marts downtown now), I'm not a shareholder.

Back