Toronto The Berczy | 41.76m | 13s | Concert | Arcadis

Spandrel glass is not pretending to be vision glass. I don't believe anyone looks at it and believes there's a window there. It is my experience that architects use spandrel glass because they believe that it maintains the glossy, modern look of the architecture across a whole facade. It sure works in renderings, too bad that real life is full of mullions.

Spandrel glass is not pretending to be vision glass. I don't believe anyone looks at it and believes there's a window there. It is my experience that architects use spandrel glass because they believe that it maintains the glossy, modern look of the architecture across a whole facade. It sure works in renderings, too bad that real life is full of mullions.

But that's the very issue; it doesn't work across an entire facade because the spandrel looks very different than vision glass.

The top half of this building does not disappear. In fact, the grey spandrel makes it stand out. Your eyes can't help but go there and it ruins the building. I would have much preferred all brick.

But that's the very issue; it doesn't work across an entire facade because the spandrel looks very different than vision glass.

I think spandrel usually only works when there's some real thought behind its placement and colouring… which does not include this building. Maybe too much of a generalization, but the aesthetics of spandrel should be seen as more than just "maintain glossy modern appeal". The material should be used to add life and detail to the buildings it's applied to (in skilled hands, of course). More thought needs to go into the colour/tone of mullions too, and their quantity.

It's been said before but it's definitely worth repeating:

woodsworth_01_ext_0.jpg

Last edited:
The balcony railings on the levels above the main entrance at Church and Front are awful. They have posts which extend down in a very clumsy way. I hope these are grinded off, otherwise it looks like the balcony railings were tacked on as an after-thought.

The balcony railings on the levels above the main entrance at Church and Front are awful. They have posts which extend down in a very clumsy way. I hope these are grinded off, otherwise it looks like the balcony railings were tacked on as an after-thought.

They're not done. They still need to add a fitted balcony support piece. The same application was applied to the lower corner balconies at Front/Church. Well, I hope so anyway haha.

The Berczy is registered (before occupancy), unheard-of in Toronto. Concert said the South wall will be bricked later in the year, waiting on the heritage bricks.

Back