Toronto The Berczy | 41.76m | 13s | Concert | Arcadis

Skyjacked, any chance you can take some pics towards the east to see how the Berczy is progressing on that side?

It's hard to make out from this pic, but there appears to be darker balcony glass going up:

WP_20130415_002.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20130415_002.jpg
    WP_20130415_002.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 609
  • WP_20130415_001.jpg
    WP_20130415_001.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 525
The top portion is starting to grow on me. I think once people are moved in and the window coverings are up it will look good. The balcony glass has a nice dark tint to it. Pictures taken today while they were lifting the brick portion design caps (don't know the exact word for this).
photo.jpg
photo2.jpg
photo3.jpg
photo2.jpg
photo.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 454
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 447
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 457
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Thank you for the great photo tour. This is one of my favorite projects and I just love checking in on it. I'm one of the few that has always had faith in it being a handsome building. Plus, I think it's a great addition to the neighbourhood and I'm really looking forward to some exciting new retail and restaurants here.

Here's a new view ;) You can really notice the tinted balcony glass. Looking sharp!

IMG_9219.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9219.jpg
    IMG_9219.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 941
As much as I don't like the upper portions of this building, I love the way that it hems in the intersection and continues the streetwall.

interchange42 had this one’s number way back in September 2009, as did Urban Shocker and a few other prescient souls.

I hate to blow my own horn but I can be included in that list.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...s-Young-Wright-IBI-Group)?p=408905#post408905

In June 2010 I wrote:

What I would have preferred to see is the developer replicate, in exact detail, the facades of the buildings to the west of this site. This is one of the few impressive street walls left in the city and this would have been an opportunity to build on this wall. As for the Tower I would prefer a simple modernistic tower with a smaller floor plate pushed further South. to compensate for the smaller floor plate I would permit a taller tower.

The final result - especially the Front street facade is as jarring as I thought it would be. Even if they did not replicate the exact details of the historic buildings to the west they could have replicated the proportions so that the new building would have the same rhythm. As predicted the tower is way to busy and looks out-of-place.

On the plus side I do like the choice of brick and the reconstituted warehouse turned out really good. The Church street elevation looks good and an improvement over what was there before. The front street elevation is a wasted opportunity.

Your observations of the Front St. façade are not borne out by the image above. The height of the brick frontage extends the rhythm of the heritage buildings eastward quite well... and I'm ok with the higher mansards, they stand out better this way. I also like how the lighter upper stories step back and give space to the Flat Iron yet still makes an interesting statement as it rises over the block. Nice materials overall.

This building completes the block nicely, adding some presence/interest/massing without upstaging the surrounding heritage structures. Masterpiece? no. Happy for it? yes.

Your observations of the Front St. façade are not borne out by the image above. The height of the brick frontage extends the rhythm of the heritage buildings eastward quite well... and I'm ok with the higher mansards, they stand out better this way. I also like how the lighter upper stories step back and give space to the Flat Iron yet still makes an interesting statement as it rises over the block. Nice materials overall.

This building completes the block nicely, adding some presence/interest/massing without upstaging the surrounding heritage structures. Masterpiece? no. Happy for it? yes.

That's the only image where it looks good, probably because of the angle and distance. The brick podium doesn't even line up with the neighbouring heritage buildings. Without meeting the mansard roofs of the heritage blocks, it is abruptly lower by one storey. The rhythm of the brick podium is completely different from the heritage buildings. The heritage buildings have sections of narrow windows and the facades are narrow, while the window sections are quite wide on the podium. It doesn't look very refined.

Last edited:
I get the impression that some would have been happy with something along these lines:

french-building.jpg

Attachments

• french-building.jpg
    french-building.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 695
Lol, Exactly. GOD NO.

I think the Berczy is looking better and better everyday as the finishing details are added. I noticed the Juliette balcony railings have appeared on the Front St. side.

I get the impression that some would have been happy with something along these lines:

Last edited by a moderator:

Back