Toronto The Bentway (was Under Gardiner) | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

What should be the permanent name for the park under the Gardiner?

• The Artery

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • The Bentway

Votes: 77 41.8%
  • Under Gardiner

Votes: 52 28.3%
  • None of the above

Votes: 43 23.4%

• Total voters
First time seeing this. Certainly looks better than bare, crumbling concrete! View attachment 475827View attachment 475828

More info on this project:

Last edited:
Howdy! The Bentway looks great and is spreading its wings! It has a new studio space on the ground floor of the community centre on Bremner.
IMG_2174.jpeg
IMG_2175.jpeg
IMG_2176.jpeg
IMG_2177.jpeg
IMG_2180.jpeg
IMG_2181.jpeg
IMG_2182.jpeg
IMG_2183.jpeg
IMG_2184.jpeg
IMG_2185.jpeg
IMG_2186.jpeg
IMG_2187.jpeg
IMG_2188.jpeg
IMG_2189.jpeg
IMG_2190.jpeg

I really appreciate all the work that's been done under underneath bits of the Gardiner...but the structure itself looks to be held together by shoe sting and a prayer. A bit unnerving to put it mildly. >.<

I appreciate they're trying to soften a significant eyesore, but most of those interventions look half baked and tacky.

@rdaner I totally agree, I really like what they have done with the bentway. I go out of my way to walk along it whenever I get a chance. I am anxious to see the future additions as well.

the only item I feel is missing is I wish there was more of a monument directly in the Fort York park. I know the Fort York Museum is really nice and respectfully pays homage to the site but I feel the Park is lacking the prominence that those lands deserve. The Memorial services i attend every year at Fort York are done in a section that could be better, IMO.

Below is a pic taken from google in Fort York Park.

fort york.jpg

However, when I compare this to The Brock's Monument in Queenston Heights, another significant area in the War of 1812, it is much more majestic. I wish we could put something like this in Fort York.

Brock's_Monument_2015.JPG

I also realize this is a thread on the Bentway so not sure why I am veering off topic (oops!) but it's something I always think about when walking by there so figured I would mention it.

First time seeing this. Certainly looks better than bare, crumbling concrete! View attachment 475827View attachment 475828

The little boom town guys are up, I think they're cute and fun little addition. In an area of the city lacking in whimsy, it's nice to see something fun!

Without additional lighting though, it makes these as interventions feel somewhat weak. But I assume that funding is being saved for the 'permanent' solution when time comes. (Source)

0L2A1928-3-1-scaled.jpg

(Source)

Fx3r5ZQWAAAb3fn

Fx3zbuFXoAEAD_o

The Pixel Story piece is also up. (Source)

Pixel-Story-Jolie-Carey-4-1-728x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Just a few pix of what is going on as The Bentway spreads east. Tons of activity around Bathurst as Concord fills in the space with retail and the area east of Dan Leckie Way is being prepped for the urban water run-off display. Taken 12 August.

IMG_3751.jpeg
IMG_3752.jpeg
IMG_3754.jpeg
IMG_3755.jpeg
IMG_3756.jpeg
IMG_3757.jpeg
IMG_3758.jpeg
IMG_3759.jpeg
IMG_3760.jpeg
IMG_3761.jpeg
IMG_3762.jpeg

The Gardiner is crumbling. This 'art' is like a lipstick on a pig. The money would have been better spent on fixing up the highway.

Back