Precast has finally shown up for the top
IMG_nov-06-09-0070.jpg

IMG_nov-06-09-0072.jpg

IMG_nov-06-09-0074.jpg

IMG_nov-06-09-0077.jpg

IMG_nov-06-09-0080.jpg

IMG_nov-06-09-0081.jpg

Dec 01

They took the crane down on the weekend as it was there last week. Missing a lot of precast panels. They repaved St Clair and were putting the stripping down when I was there and all lanes open.
IMG_dec-01-09-0065.jpg

IMG_dec-01-09-0067.jpg

IMG_dec-01-09-0068.jpg

IMG_dec-01-09-0069.jpg

IMG_dec-01-09-0071.jpg

IMG_dec-01-09-0074.jpg

Has anyone see the new signage wrapping the building?

Last week I saw it go up, and found it funny that there was a HUGE picture of a lady smoking... This evening I drove by, and the smoke has been CUT OUT of the advertising.

Very funny. If anyone has a picture of the original signage, please DM me!

No pics since January? High time to revisit The Avenue:

Approaching from west of it on St. Clair.

Avenue1.jpg

Avenue2.jpg

In your face:

Avenue2pano.jpg

Porte Cochere:

Avenue3.jpg

Front door:

Avenue4.jpg

Arcade:

Avenue5.jpg

Avenue6.jpg

Avenue7pano.jpg

Looking up/high maintenance:

Avenue8.jpg

From north on Avenue Road:

Avenue9.jpg

Focusing on the north facing terraces, all planted:

Avenue10.jpg

From the neighbourhood to the southwest:

Avenue11.jpg

From south on Avenue Road:

Avenue12.jpg

In Glenn Gould Park across St. Clair from the building, you will find Peter Pan and friends:

Avenue13.jpg

You will also find a slide and swings, and a rather run-down lawn. Could Section 37 funds from The Avenue be dedicated for revitalization here? If so, they certainly haven't been spent yet.

Avenue14.jpg

Does anyone else like this building a lot more from a distance? From down the street, the massing and shape of the building look fantastic. Up close, it's still nice but not nearly as impressive.

Lame buildings like this remind me why so many people, myself included, love the Toronto box. This pseudo classy dreck used to be the coin of the realm in Toronto in the pre-Twenty Niagara, District Lofts, Radio City days. The Avenue reminds us that the enemy is still out there, hiding crouched in the bushes. Who is this enemy?: Bad Taste!

Anyway, its a real shame that such an important corner is now home to this pitiful pile of lame-o pomo posturing.

meh ... I like it! Love the setbacks at the top and the base as well.

The base is crap. There are several other examples of buildings that are clad in brick except for the bottom 2-3 floors where it switches to this white precast (or whatever material it is). The second floor 'windows' look like black holes and are taller than the rest of the windows. The arcade tells pedestrians walking by to stay away while the columns reduce and divide the pedestrian zone.

The arcade isn't the biggest problem - it is the fact that there is absolutely nothing there for pedestrians to interact with - all those windows with white curtains, bleh. The only bright side is that the structure isn't so overpowering vis-a-vis the neighbourhood from the looks of it - unlike the other CF sore thumb that's RoCP 1&2 - which has one of the cheapest looking base among all the major projects of late. Come to think of it, I can't think of any well designed CF project; DNA is pretty crappy too in that regard.

AoD

Last edited:

Back