Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

I dunno about that. I suppose the extra height would help it distinguish itself from the clutch of nearby towers that hover around the same height. But the cladding, colour and detailing are uninspiring, so a couple dozen extra floors would just make it more of the same.

So much praise for this building in the early stages of construction but it did turn out underwhelming overall. It just blends in too much into the south core cluster.

Maybe a strip of fire engine red running down the south facing side would spruce it up.

MVIMG_20180211_143931_exported_2523854884489908050.jpg
IMG_20180211_144010.jpg
Foggy/rainy day

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180211_143931_exported_2523854884489908050.jpg
    MVIMG_20180211_143931_exported_2523854884489908050.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_20180211_144010.jpg
    IMG_20180211_144010.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 582
So much praise for this building in the early stages of construction but it did turn out underwhelming overall. It just blends in too much into the south core cluster.

Maybe a strip of fire engine red running down the south facing side would spruce it up.

It's the battleship grey slabs and the emerald green balconies that kill it for me. I kept hoping the height would even it out somehow. Unfortunately this is the view from the highway. I wish it were better. There was a glow from the renders that promised something better. Oh well, on wards and upwards.

It's the battleship grey slabs and the emerald green balconies that kill it for me. I kept hoping the height would even it out somehow. Unfortunately this is the view from the highway. I wish it were better. There was a glow from the renders that promised something better. Oh well, on wards and upwards.

I agree with your point about how the glow from the rendering of Ten York was promising. It seems to be so often the case that the renderings of condos usually look great however the end result often disappointing and does not look as nice. Sometimes the quality has been lowered or some aspects of the design were omitted at the end.

Given Tridel's track record, I was actually preparing for worse. As much as I think this building is a wasted opportunity, the base is sharp and the finishing looks above-average.

Well, to be fair, the final product of 1BE looks remarkably similar to the render, so it is possible for developers to build according to what the marketing material promised.

Well, to be fair, the final product of 1BE looks remarkably similar to the render, so it is possible for developers to build according to what the marketing material promised.

Yeah One Bloor East is actually quite impressive. I really like the sweeping curves running up the tower and the plate glass covered retail podium. It is very fitting for that intersection. it has great street presence. Going back to Ten York I agree with you that the base is sharp and above-average. the public realm seems promising here! The new gardiner off-ramp is already having a positive impact and the landscaping along York and Harbour streets will enhance the podium.
The new park on the opposite corner from Ten York will complement the building and will have great views of the quality glass base. This corner of York and Harbour has the potential to be Toronto's next great intersection...

Last edited:
Looking at the skyline you can see just how much 10 York was a wasted opportunity. It looks sharp at street level and pretty good on the eastbound Gardiner, but from every other angle it is typical Toronto mediocrity.

Back