Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

I think it's funny that we are building all these very tall buildings centered around the intersection of York and Lake Shore. Because of the Gardiner expressway blocking the view overhead, the impressive canyon effect that makes skyscrapers so exciting in an urban environment will be completely lost. Also, that intersection is one of the least pedestrian-friendly in the downtown core. Hopefully they make some enhancements (especially on the west side, where drivers are always itchy to get onto the westbound Gardiner on-ramp) to improve the walkability for all the future residents who will be living there.

maybe it IS a good idea to build some nice supertalls near the Gardiner, which appears to stay indefinitely, so that the Gardiner and all those tacky green condos near the lake stop catching your eyes everyone you go there?

I believe the area will benefit tremendously from the addition of these tall and futuristic towers, which makes the "south core" more like a city rather than a suburb just by the city as it is now, just from the visual difference it makes in the rendering. I am hopeful that with higher density and more affluent people moving in, the Gardiner/Lake Shore area will gradually become more pedestrian friendly and as isolated or unattractive.

:DI'm shocked by all the propossals, 1 york, 10 york, the two towers near the Ritz, the tower near Queen and Youge st., if all these buildings get built then the comparisons between toronto and new york wouldn't be so much of a joke...lol

maybe it IS a good idea to build some nice supertalls near the Gardiner, which appears to stay indefinitely, so that the Gardiner and all those tacky green condos near the lake stop catching your eyes everyone you go there?

I believe the area will benefit tremendously from the addition of these tall and futuristic towers, which makes the "south core" more like a city rather than a suburb just by the city as it is now, just from the visual difference it makes in the rendering. I am hopeful that with higher density and more affluent people moving in, the Gardiner/Lake Shore area will gradually become more pedestrian friendly and as isolated or unattractive.

Yep, agreed. And driving eastbound on the Gardiner will be totally badass.

:DI'm shocked by all the propossals, 1 york, 10 york, the two towers near the Ritz, the tower near Queen and Youge st., if all these buildings get built then the comparisons between toronto and new york wouldn't be so much of a joke...lol

If this pace of development is sustained for the next 30 years, we build a dozen or so supertalls and NYC development grinds to a halt - well then it wouldn't be so much of a joke.

Although, we are starting to get a core density similar to Chicago, minus the supertalls and great architecture.

If this pace of development is sustained for the next 30 years, we build a dozen or so supertalls and NYC development grinds to a halt - well then it wouldn't be so much of a joke.

Although, we are starting to get a core density similar to Chicago, minus the supertalls and great architecture.

True! And, since you're comparing to Chicago, in addition to the lack of supertalls and great architecture, Toronto also has quite a few fewer office buildings that are say, 30+ storeys plus (which of course is a reflection of the total office space in our core vs. theirs). I did a tally once and Toronto has 10 office towers that are 40+ storeys vs. Chicago, which has more than 30 office towers that are 40+ storeys. If I was to look at the number of office towers that are 30-39 storeys, Toronto is on its way of having 19 such towers if Bremner and Ice office tower go ahead. I do not know how many 30-39 storey office towers Chicago's core has. These two cities are probably similar in the number of office towers that are less than 30 storeys, I suspect. :)

I believe Chicago has about 1.5X-2X the amount of office space in their core ... and correspondingly much more employment.

Taal, I agree. Toronto's core has about 75M sq. ft. and Chicago about 125M sq. ft.

Nope :)

But a lot of people make this mistake.

Toronto proper (i.e. the entire 416) has about 80 million square feet. About 50 million in the core.

Chicago proper (i.e. not sure about the area code) is 125 million. The core is about 80 or so.

Hey Taal, are you sure? I base my numbers on sources like Avison Young, CBRE and Colliers and my numbers reflect that. The City of Toronto (416) has 115M sq. ft. and the GTA as a whole has over 180M sq. ft. Of 416's 115M, the downtown/core area has about 75M. Seriously, please check one or more of these out and you'll see! If you still disagree, please let me know, and I'll provide links to you (along with justification on that)! :)

Ah, I think you are correct.

So I was basing it on:
Central
81.0 million SF of office space representing 54.3% of the GTA office market
North
11.6 million SF of office space representing 7.8% of the GTA office market
East
24.7 million SF of office space representing 16.6% of the GTA office market
West
31.8 million SF of office space representing 21.3% of the GTA office market
GTA
149.1 million SF of office space
http://gkc3.cbre.com/DocServing/ShowReport.aspx?fileId=99019268&HideLeft=1&ViewMode=nonav&qs=MarketSelect%3d256%26Val1%3d%26Val2%3d%26Val3%3d%26Val4%3d%26Cat1%3d%26Cat2%3dQuarter%26Cat3%3dYear%26Cat4%3dIndustry%26ReportType%3d3%26KeywordSelect%3d%26CheckBox1%3d0

But I forgot North / East / West include parts of Toronto (the other 416). I was using the central # for all of Toronto.

Some other companies have broken apart North into central north (i.e. NYCC) and north and also there is central east /east (for 401 area).

Sorry about that.

Glad to see all are in agreement with Toronto's numbers.
So what about Chicago's? Are they still 125 proper and 'round 80 for the core?

Back