Toronto Telus House - 25 York Street | 136.24m | 30s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

"My reference to Termini Station in Rome (one of the best in the world)"

One of the best in the world... to get your wallet stolen!

I seem to recall reading that Termini (named after the nearby Baths of Diocletian) is what started the habit of our generically referring to such stations as "terminals"...

I seem to recall reading that Termini (named after the nearby Baths of Diocletian) is what started the habit of our generically referring to such stations as "terminals"...

The term 'terminal' actually comes from the station being at the 'terminus' of the rail line. 'Terminal' is merely the North American adaptation of the original term. Hence, while Union isn't quite the 'terminus' of the line, it still deserves a 'Termini'-quality building.

Ticket Hall

2707549901_521c64e7a2.jpg

c/o maartmeester on Flickr

Same room from different angle (the first shot was taken from the second floor of Nike)

2505006910_a8abe7a05a.jpg

c/o WelsonTu on Flickr

And the fabulous central hall which I referred to earlier

2504171875_bbee805f54.jpg

c/o WelsonTu on Flickr

This atrium functions as an interior street and as such, is always packed with people. And why would a north-south adaptation of this model be a bad thing?

Just found this one from Yanfuano on Flickr which shows the continuity from exterior to interior space.

2482132561_c44989f409_o.jpg

The term 'terminal' actually comes from the station being at the 'terminus' of the rail line. 'Terminal' is merely the North American adaptation of the original term. Hence, while Union isn't quite the 'terminus' of the line, it still deserves a 'Termini'-quality building.

Ticket Hall

2707549901_521c64e7a2.jpg

c/o maartmeester on Flickr

Same room from different angle (the first shot was taken from the second floor of Nike)

2505006910_a8abe7a05a.jpg

c/o WelsonTu on Flickr

And the fabulous central hall which I referred to earlier

2504171875_bbee805f54.jpg

c/o WelsonTu on Flickr

This atrium functions as an interior street and as such, is always packed with people. And why would a north-south adaptation of this model be a bad thing?

Just found this one from Yanfuano on Flickr which shows the continuity from exterior to interior space.

2482132561_c44989f409_o.jpg
Either this is a parody that I am missing, or I VERY strongly disagree with you! That building is ugly if I've ever seen it.

^ One thing that can be said about Termini is that its design was ahead of its time (designed 1947 and built 1950). Features like the ticket hall has influenced airport terminal designs right up to today. It's featured in lots of architecture history books, and if there is ever a proposal to demolish it, a lot of people will protest against it.

The term 'terminal' actually comes from the station being at the 'terminus' of the rail line.

Wikipedia holds to the "Baths of Diocletian" theory. I've been told that many English speakers thought that "termini" actually meant terminal until told that the Baths were nearby.

While the Termini article on Wikipedia does correctly reference the Baths as the source of the station's name, in the Train Station article, there is a larger explanation beginning with: "A terminus (or terminal, in North American parlance) is a station at which, since it lies at the very end of a line of railway..."

In short, while Termini was named after the Baths (1950ish), the idea of a terminus dates back farther than Brunel.

In short, while Termini was named after the Baths (1950ish), the idea of a terminus dates back farther than Brunel.

While the present station is 1950ish, its predecessor dated back to 1863.

I'm no Latin expert, but this may all involve dissecting the etymology of the word "terminus", rather than the mere idea of a terminus...

While the present station is 1950ish, its predecessor dated back to 1863.

I'm no Latin expert, but this may all involve dissecting the etymology of the word "terminus", rather than the mere idea of a terminus...

Brunel died in 1859.

Regardless, I would rather leave the etymology of Roman public-transit hubs to the appropriate experts, and instead debate the potential benefits of an interior street connecting York Center to Front St.

Ryuinfinity, what would you change?

To return off topic, did he actually use the word terminus/terminal? Just curious.

Islambard Kingdom Brunel was the chief engineer for Britan's Great Western Railway and as such, he would have been quite familiar with the term. In addition to being the chief engineer of the GWR and among countless other projects, he was the architect and engineer of the two terminus stations at opposing ends of the line: Paddington Station in London and Temple Meads in Bristol. Furthermore, he was also the engineer of Liskeard railway station, a small stop on the GWR and Reading station, a larger transit hub in the city of Reading. Both are not terminus-style stations, but rather fly-through stations similar to our own Union.

Brunel was a man of stunning talent. Though he died at age 53, he engineered a revolution which propelled Victoria and her grand empire to the forefront of modern society. Among other indulgences, Brunel was known to smoke over 40 cigars each day and though he was married, his fondness for sexual intercourse led him on many 'pursuits.'

There are lots of good books on Brunel, but I particularly enjoyed these three...

Brunel: The Man Who Built the World

Brunel: The Life And Times of Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame also did a special on him for BBC's Greatest Britons series a couple of years ago. In typical Clarkson fashion, it is fantastic.

Greatest Briton: Brunel

brunel_350px.jpg

To add to the above:

Isambard Kingdom Brunel

During his short career, Brunel achieved many engineering "firsts", including assisting in the building of the first tunnel under a navigable river and development of SS Great Britain, the first propeller-driven ocean-going iron ship, which was at the time also the largest ship ever built.

Brunel is notable in the history of digital communication, as his steamship the Great Eastern was the first vessel to successfully lay a telegraph cable across 1,500 miles (2,400 km) of the Atlantic Ocean.

So he is also, in a way, one of the great-great-great-grandfathers of the Internet. He also left his mark in another way:

Brunel is also often claimed to be the inventor of the Bar (counter) as an item of furniture for quickly serving large numbers of customers in cafes, refreshment rooms, hotels and public houses. Both the Great Western Hotel at Paddington Station and the Swindon railway station refreshment rooms claim to have had the world's first bar. This device continues to remain popular all over the world.

A fascinating man. He definitely ranks as one of the most important creators of the modern world, in my opinion.

Heads up guys/gals ... there's some glass up on this one now. Not on the tower portion of the building but on the north side of the podium ... couldn't get a picture. You can see it if you walk on the West side of the site. I don't think it'll be indicative of the rest of the building so I won't pass any judgments right now.

Back