Toronto Tableau Condominiums | 124.05m | 36s | Urban Capital | Wallman Architects

I've walked in that area many times. It's crazy to think that if you're in the wrong place, at the wrong time, the thing you love, (development) could kill you. Makes one kinda nervous around construction sites.

I'm surprised that's what you're surprised by. These things are engineered to stand vertically. It's certainly not apparent from that photo why that's bent over the street. What the hell happened?

very simply, not tied back well enough to structure or other frames to create stability.

Photo from today (Mar 19)
IMG_0973.jpg

DSC_0383(2).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,885
  • DSC_0383(2).jpg
    DSC_0383(2).jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,887
Last edited:
The columns are evident in the renderings!

You can see it was the top of the scaffold that hit Richmond, and the bottom of the scaffold is floating in the air. I guess it either tipped over or got knocked over. Maybe the crane snagged it?

Edit: And this stuff is uncommon, but not without precedent. The tower crane at Star of Downtown collapsed onto Wellesley, the scaffolding at the Opera House fell onto Queen W, they lost a skid of curtainwall frames at the RBC Centre onto Simcoe, there was a masonry collapse at 500 Sherbourne onto Sherbourne, and if I'm not mistaken ages ago there was a pedestrian fatality at SickKids (the hospital, not the research centre) when something fell through the hoarding. And I can think of dozens of other near-misses, too.

Last edited:
Taken April 2nd:
Forming of the 7' to 8' deep transfer slab, and the 10' to 11' deep transfer beams beyond:
IMG_1633(2).jpg
IMG_1635.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1633(2).jpg
    IMG_1633(2).jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,395
  • IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,414
Last edited:

Back