Toronto Tableau Condominiums | 124.05m | 36s | Urban Capital | Wallman Architects

System Soundbar was facing Peter St (side). Tonic was facing Richmond (front). They were connected through a door somewhere inside but operated as two separate clubs (For the most part). Tonic was rebranded as Home nightclub before closing down to make room for this project. Tonic catered to more of the hip hop "top 40" crowd and System Soundbar was more the underground rave type crowd and also played other types of music to various crowds.

That corner was where Light club use to be. Behind there was District near the parking lot behind the building which is no more. And deeper into the alley there would be This is London.

System Soundbar was a great spot for dnb and breaks. I saw Goldie play a great set there once. Really fun. I really preferred the weed smoking crowd to the stella artois and high heels crowd that came later.

Tonic and System were fun, had lots of great nights in that building. Only ever went to Tonic when they had techo on "For those who know" Wednesdays, Richie Hawtin, Marco Corola, Kenny Glasgow and many others. Couldn't possibly do a mid-week night and still go to work on the next day on 2 hrs sleep, now. System was never a favourite but still had a good time on many nights, Satoshi Tomiie, John Aquaviva, Misstress Barbara, etc.

Watching this building get turned into a condo just shows how much those days are quickly moving to the past. ;)

So am I right to believe that Tableau has not started work yet? In fact in the end it was QRC that has started?

I've heard that Tableau gets going in January. QRC has been under way for a while now with work being done on the existing warehouse structures.

Passed by the site this morning - demolition for Tableau (as well as for Peter Street condominiums) is now underway - both the main building and the triangular building with the pizza restaurant are coming down.

Pic taken Feb 3, 2012

Mloab.jpg

Back