Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Why should balconies not be part of what differentiates each building?

What would make things interesting for you Tulse? Explaining what you don't consider to be good design does little to help anyone understand what you do consider to be good.

What would make things interesting for you Tulse? Explaining what you don't consider to be good design does little to help anyone understand what you do consider to be good.

It's not at all that I think playing with balcony articulation is "bad design", just that it has (at least in Toronto) become cliched. One Bloor appears to use the design trope very well (even though it is essentially borrowing the idea from Chicago's Aqua). Market Square's approach also adds interest and plays well with the overall form of the project, in my opinion. But my impression is that various projects have glommed on to this particular trope, and my suspicion is that that's because it is a relatively cheap and lazy way to add visual interest to an otherwise conventional box.

So, to be clear, I'm not against this approach in theory, but I find that it is being way too overused in the recent spate of Toronto projects, which makes them (to my eye) look like lazy copycats of much better realizations of the approach.

More generally, I find that adding a bit of decoration to a conventional box is not all that interesting architecturally. That's why I pointed to Absolute World as an example of innovative, exciting, literally-out-of-the-box architecture that plays with the actual form of the structure. I think we're seeing that in some other projects in the city as well, but these kind of design innovations are presumably fairly expensive, more so than tacking wavy balconies onto a standard rectangle.

And, to be clear, when done well and thoughtfully, the conventional box tower can be inspiring -- certainly TD Centre is, as is its spiritual offspring of X Condos. These are beautiful buildings that respect their form, that revel in it. What I bemoan is the use of a relatively cheap technique to attempt to provide distinction to what are otherwise uninspired forms.

I totally agree ..... ever since we started criticizing GTA's boom perojects as full of un-inspiring boxes, the un-inspiring architects found ways to tweak their bland BLAH BOXES with some kind of cheap wavy balconeys. Some of us are not sold on this !!!!! No no no.

Toronto deserves better; we are Canada's no. 1 city so we should wake up to demand better designs from our profit-first developers. Toronto is really pathetic when it comes to building architecture.
You can walk through Ottawa downtown and stop every few minutes to snap a picture of some building. Same situation in Chicago, Manhattan, and even Cargary.

What street in Toronto is inspiring enough to slow a tourist movement due to picture-taking? Come on guys, let's put pressure on our aneamic city coucillors to demand better designs until our city core is filled with all these cheap and pathetic green/grey glass slabs with funny balconeys....

It's not that balconies shouldn't be part of what differentiates buildings; it's that they shouldn't be the only feature that differentiates buildings. Lately, especially with architectsAlliance, almost every building is an identical tower covered in blue glass that can only be distinguished by ornamental balconies. Good-looking buildings are more than just glass and pretty balconies, ad nauseam.

Depends on what you mean by a 'good' building. Square floor plates work best for both developers and end users - this is why they are so popular. Ask any architect working today and they'll likely agree that condos aren't opportunities for architectural experimentation, they're just real estate. What do you expect?

Square floor plates work best for both developers and end users - this is why they are so popular.
But isn't this true for any use, not just condos? Don't square floor plates work best for offices as well?

And no one is saying that we shouldn't have rectilinear floor plates, just that having a building that is a single box is (usually) very boring. One can do all sorts of interesting things with square floor plates (see, for example, Exhibit...or for that matter, OCAD).

But isn't this true for any use, not just condos? Don't square floor plates work best for offices as well?
Yes, it is true, and saves money to stick to floor plates that are square. Corporations can afford to spend a bit more on fancier designs than condos.

Depends on what you mean by a 'good' building. Square floor plates work best for both developers and end users - this is why they are so popular. Ask any architect working today and they'll likely agree that condos aren't opportunities for architectural experimentation, they're just real estate. What do you expect?

I expect architects to tell people that condos are opportunities for strong architectural expression, if not experimentation. They're supposed to be creative and passionate about design. There's no reason not to push the envelope, unless clients are restricting their expressiveness.

One of the things that has allowed for a diversity in building designs, particularly in Manhattan, is the rules concerning setbacks. I wish Toronto had more towers with setbacks.

I expect architects to tell people that condos are opportunities for strong architectural expression, if not experimentation. They're supposed to be creative and passionate about design. There's no reason not to push the envelope, unless clients are restricting their expressiveness.

But that's exactly the point - pushing the envelope costs money and few Canadian developers are willing to do that. Things like Absolute are that much more amazing because like Brunelleschi's dome over Santa Maria del Fiore or Utzon's Opera House, they move the culture of building in that country forward. To suddenly expect that all projects will reach for a similar mark is somewhat wishful thinking.

Developers aren't necessary bad or unimaginative people, they simply have a fiduciary responsibility to their corporation to make money.

Many ppl don't understand what the majority of these highrise condo towers really are: an expansion of the city's rental housing stock. The mediocre/boring designs from P+S, G+C etc are like those dreary slabs from the '60s while the aA's, Teeple's, etc of the boom are the new Uno Prii's--same old box but with attractive packaging.

I bet the actual quality of Harbour Plaza's arrangement of the panels will surpass the Absolute World assembly--which was pretty low rent if you look closely.

Am I seeing things, or is the balcony plan further evolved? It's getting more interesting with each tweak.

The features do appear to be increasingly sculptural. Final result should be quite dazzling with the details articulating in various perspectives.

Last edited:

Absolute is a great example of breaking the standard condo box design, so will Ten York and a couple others. The problem with something like Absolute - as great as the buildings are - is the additional expense in building forms like that plus plumbing, electrical infrastructure and so forth is pretty complex and expensive to execute. I recall many of the floorplans were also not very good given the shape of the buildings, but then I'm a "square/rectangular" room kinda' guy so that's more of an opinion I guess.

July 04
9218194205_f05529822e_b.jpg

9218192633_e211e421ff_b.jpg

Back