Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

I do have to say, it's rather ironic for Clewes to say the following - from the Star:

Not that I am not a fan of his design, but considering the degree to which projects by his firm has been sprouting out in certain quarters of the city...really?

AoD

From the man who is bringing us Casa II right across the street from Casa I - yes, very ironic.

When one reaches success and reaches a point where they are simply "coasting" and no longer have to try as hard, I think people can start to bullshit themselves. If this and 501 Yonge are what we can expect from Clewes in the future, then he is bullshitting himself.

Clewes has done it again. He is a bit of an enigma.

There was also this and I wonder, what can one think?

Everyone who thinks that more highrises are a good thing, and the higher the building the better, should have to read that short piece, 100 times.

I seriously think everyone should stop complaining about the design. It is sleek and modern, and many city's would love to have it. So what if its not our most iconic building? It is still nice. Plus were not even sure that is the design and we haven't seen a proper render!!

Because:

1) Sleek and modern isn't good enough.

2) Clewes is capable of something so much better than this.

Because:

Yes, I agree it could be better. But no, this is not a horribly atrocious building. It is still nice. We can hope for something better, but if this is what we get there nothing we can do. It's almost like we've become spoiled. In 2006 a project like this would have been praised!

It's not 2006, and that's no excuse for us to lower our expectations in 2012.

I am agreeing that it could ( and possible will) be much better, however we should still be happy that we are getting a nice, very tall, building in an an area that was parking lots.

I for one like this proposal much better than the barber pole design. That looked like kids with building blocks...
This looks much better, and would be LOVED in MOST NA cities as of right now!!!!

Density of 70 and 80 storys... WOW.... I think Southcore is shaping up to look amazing... I really hope that this cycle can live through 10 York, this one and Ice office component... Would be nice to see this area finished.... rather than wait 10 years and have construction dust and nuisance kick up again!! 45 Bay as well, would be great to see launched.
I will cream when I next take the Gardiner in to town, I have watched it on u tube, its already crazy..... But once this is all fleshed out!!!! :cool:

Because:

What does 'good enough' mean? 'Good enough' for who? You? Me? Clewes? I'm not sure why you seem to think he's designing towers that are below his 'capability.' Why would he not design something he would be proud of?

The redesign is far better than the first trashy looking proposal. I'd say it's the next logical step for our current designs in Toronto. I hope it is also the leaving-off point. In short I would like to see some new influences around.

the redesign does definitely help.. but still balcony galore! lol

the toronto skyline will become dominated by these wrap around balcony towers!

casa's
ice's
massey tower
etc etc

I seriously think everyone should stop complaining about the design. It is sleek and modern, and many city's would love to have it. So what if its not our most iconic building? It is still nice. Plus were not even sure that is the design and we haven't seen a proper render!!

There is way too much of this kind of attitude in Canada. Complacency I suppose.

STRIVE FOR BETTER! ALWAYS!

Back