Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Did you shoot that at Ranchdale Park. That's the fence in the corner of the parking lot. I walk through there on almost a daily basis. I was wondering the other day: what is that building to the left of the L Tower? Is that Pace? Also, what building is that covering the bottom of Scotia Plaza?

Did you shoot that at Ranchdale Park. That's the fence in the corner of the parking lot. I walk through there on almost a daily basis. I was wondering the other day: what is that building to the left of the L Tower? Is that Pace? Also, what building is that covering the bottom of Scotia Plaza?

Yup that's where I took it. Left of the L tower is one of the Pinnacle Centre towers. Pace is the building you see under the CIBC tower. The building at the foreground which is covering the bottom of Scotia is a building at Overlea and Thorncliff Park drive.

Wow, thanks all for the kind words! I would have never expected such an overwhelming response..

The first photo was definitely a bit tricky to compose; getting the Harbour Plaza tower aligned with the reflection of Waterpark Place III as well as the PwC Tower with Harbour Square, and fitting the bicycles neatly at the bottom while keeping the streetcar in frame. Luckily it all paid off!

I also honestly didn't notice that the building looked almost transparent until you guys pointed it out; having it look like a white frame floating in midair was an added bonus!

Thanks for the superb photos of 1 York, which are especially meaningful to me as my office will be moving into the building this time next year. The first image you posted is a classic, and one I'm sure will be imitated (but never duplicated) for years to come. If UT has a "Photo of The Year" contest, this would be it.

The City does have bird-friendly guidelines for the windows of any new building. There has to be a pattern on the glass (usually always a frit these days) that birds will see from the ground to 12 metres above (where most flight takes place), or when there is a tree canopy higher than 12 metres adjacent to the building, the pattern must extend a little beyond the tree canopy.

We should be retrofitting more older buildings with bird-friendly glass.

Yup that's where I took it. Left of the L tower is one of the Pinnacle Centre towers. Pace is the building you see under the CIBC tower. The building at the foreground which is covering the bottom of Scotia is a building at Overlea and Thorncliff Park drive.
I still can't make out which building that is at Overlea & Thorncliffe. It's not one of the Leaside Towers.

Do you happen to own a drone? I was walking through Ranchdale a few days ago and a drone flew over my head, as I was walking westward through the school grounds towards Underhill Dr.

I've wanted to see that parking lot at Ranchdale buried for years. It offers one of the most incredible, elevated views of the horizon, downtown, midtown and Don Mills skylines in the city. It's such a wasted opportunity to build up a mound that overlooks the city and Don Valley. Unfortunately, the city planted a bunch of trees last year that will block the views of downtown (evidently, no one bothered to notice when they were planted). Anyways, back on topic.

Last edited:
So according to the article they are suing CF/TD Centre. Sorry, aesthetics takes priority on this one.

AoD
The article also states that there is a type of glazing with warning patterns only visible in the UV spectrum that birds can see and we can't. Maybe we can have our cake and eat it too?

April 15
25961427514_aabe6e63e1_h.jpg

26500421551_72f40e90a8_h.jpg

26293611490_d2c796647b_h.jpg

26293612390_92d926259a_h.jpg

26293609830_fd0d86dcda_h.jpg

CF shouldn't worry too much about the lawsuit, this is a clear case of contributory negligence on the part of the birds.

(sorry, couldn't help posting a bit of lawyer humour)

LOL, be careful drivers, the relatives of roadkill maybe suing soon!

The article also states that there is a type of glazing with warning patterns only visible in the UV spectrum that birds can see and we can't. Maybe we can have our cake and eat it too?

Except didn't they just replace the glazing but the modification they applied didn't do the job? I can't see it being redone again in such a short period of time,

AoD

Back