Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Am I the only one sad to see this building come down? Its one of the few large scale buildings in the area that isn't a glass condo.

Am I the only one sad to see this building come down? Its one of the few large scale buildings in the area that isn't a glass condo.

Nope, you are certainly not the only one. The building itself isn't too remarkable, and is in pretty poor shape, but with the amount of green and blue in the area, it beats a condominium anyday.

Now... if the architects/developers would be willing to use bricks, stone, or black glass for this redevelopment, I might feel differently.

90 Harbour Demolition

So I live at Maple Leaf Square- South facing the lake on about the 20th floor. I am concerned to see this new development and I am afraid that they may be building a condo/office right where the parking spaces are now where my condo will end up facing another people's space right in front of me..Not to mention that my lake view will be affected.

Any other residents concerned about this? :confused:

I gave up bigger units for this lake view when I was purchasing my condo :(

So I live at Maple Leaf Square- South facing the lake on about the 20th floor. I am concerned to see this new development and I am afraid that they may be building a condo/office right where the parking spaces are now where my condo will end up facing another people's space right in front of me..Not to mention that my lake view will be affected.

Are you serious ?

Do you realize that your very condo (and office / hotel) was built on top of a parking lot, and likely blocked the lake views of several other condos / offices ?

We see these sort of comments all the time, sometimes, when a building has been around for 20+ years I can be a little sensitive but seeing how this built a couple years ago on a very similar parking lot ...

There is one more development that will affect you. The parking lot between QQ and Harbour str. I live at 33 Harbour sq. and those two developments afect my view as well. There is nothing you can do about it :(

You have to do you you due diligence. Anytime you've got an empty lot or abandoned building in front of a condo site you've got to be aware that something can come up. I know you're disappointed, but on the bright side, at least it won't be like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysrCmm8iksQ

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dbdt_ogpo

Thanks for your comments. Those videos are outrageous!! Makes me feel better but I feel bad for those that have to face the concrete wall.

I guess I should have known better..first time home buyer and I just fell in love with the lake view so I am just very disappointed knowing that may be take away.

I am just going to hope that it's nothing too high..although it's very likely that it will be.

Enjoy the rest of this beautiful weekend everyone :)

You have to do you you due diligence. Anytime you've got an empty lot or abandoned building in front of a condo site you've got to be aware that something can come up. I know you're disappointed, but on the bright side, at least it won't be like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysrCmm8iksQ

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dbdt_ogpo

Re: these videos, this is both the developers fault for designing windows & balconies into a building on the edge of a property line and whoever approved this at the City. I foolishly got caught in the same conundrum. The unit we purchased was redesigned during sales (a north-east corner unit) because it wasn't selling. The new plan for the suite was great, and we bought it. In the process they added north facing windows for this line of units which we found out about half a year after we moved in didn't meet fire code, the same would apply to these poor souls in the videos above. The developer had to meet code with Toronto Fire Dept. and make the windows non-operational to meet fire code. A group of us got together and fought it. What we got was a generous payout for the trouble and they installed fire shutters at the top of each window with a sensor that, if triggered by high heat, would drop the steel shutters. Nothing was ever built next door to block the two living room and the 2nd bedroom windows although there are rumours of developing the property in question next door. Someone is dropping the ball at the City by not catching these designs.

Shutter closets built to hide the rolled up metal shutters

windows4.jpg
windows3.jpg
windows2.jpg
windows1.jpg

The north side of the building, note windows on the left line of suites only. If you look closely you'll see those of us who kept our sliding windows, and those who didn't fight it and got brown steel panels installed in place.
ThurFeb82001-3.jpg

Last edited:
Those videos show that there is major issues with Toronto's developers, and the staff in the city that allow this to go through. Unbelievable. I'd be so mad.

Wait a sec ... other then the balcony ... isn't the rest a blank wall or are there windows ?

If it's a blank wall that's fine / typical and the norm in any dense place. Given the outrage I'm assuming there were windows ... that seems like the city should have forced it to be a blank wall.

BAHAHAA! Did you really expect to keep your view? You def shoulda thought about this before purchasing! If you want a unit that will keep an amazing view, I would suggest any highrises along the Escarpment (though small, still a significant vantage point) or along the Humber or Don Rivers' edges.
Besides that, if you want to maintain a HighRise view in TO now-a-days, you'll have to buy up in 40-50th floor range!

Back