Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

... and in the context of the rampant development and 'non-architecture' that steadily encroaches Adma's point about 'authenticity' feels even more urgent because whether you 'like' it or not, or whether we collectively appreciate it yet or not, 90 Harbour is thoughtfull architecture (as Rebecca points out) and carries a certain dignity or integrity that will not likely be the case with yet another boxy glass tower in the area.

Personally, I'd rather shy away from judging "boxy glass towers" in these arguments. It feeds the cynicism re heritage buffs being paranoid reactionaries, etc.

Instead, let's bow to today's green arguments and judge 90 Harbour's value in straight-on terms of "existing building fabric". Sure, it's less romantic than the more common stylistic argument--but it may be the best, most fundamental way of tackling the issue. Start with that fundamental, and let the stylistic details take root from there...

There's parking lots on both sides of 90 Harbour that can become condos. 90 Harbour will probably be replaced by a low-rise amenities podium sitting underneath point towers or a circular driveway. More attractive outcomes can be had by incorporating 90 Harbour into a new complex. Let the towers on the parking lots rise 50 or 60 storeys if the loss of density is so abominable.

What 50 or 60...from what i understand they can go up to 70-80 storeys in this piece of land, i say bring it on, maybe Cityzen can build a couple of taller Marylins here, or maybe C.F. can transfer their office rights to this plot and and continue building Ice-3 by 1 and 2 or maybe even a couple all brick mixed use skyscrapers, lets look at the big picture and see what can be built here and not talk forever of what exists. I think the sky is the limit of what can be done here including incorporating the heritage 60 Harbour ( H.C.B.) into the new complex.:)

What 50 or 60...from what i understand they can go up to 70-80 storeys in this piece of land, i say bring it on, maybe Cityzen can build a couple of taller Marylins here, or maybe C.F. can transfer their office rights to this plot and and continue building Ice-3 by 1 and 2 or maybe even a couple all brick mixed use skyscrapers, lets look at the big picture and see what can be built here and not talk forever of what exists. I think the sky is the limit of what can be done here including incorporating the heritage 60 Harbour ( H.C.B.) into the new complex.:)

Marilyns flanking 90 Harbour and an 80 storey building northeast of 60 Harbour along the Gardiner/Bay would be great.

Marilyns flanking 90 Harbour and an 80 storey building northeast of 60 Harbour along the Gardiner/Bay would be great.

Wouldn't it be nice if this was resurrected back from the dead and placed down there.:)

1_bloor_east1.jpg

Last edited:
Why is 60 Harbour being discussed? It's a whole 'nother property with (correct me if I'm wrong) no plans to divest or redevelop it. I also love how the usual suspects spout off 80 storeys as if it is nothing. That's roughly 20 storeys taller than Ice which is also positioned further away from the harbour.

Since late January I've been in contact with MPP Marchese's office regarding saving some or all of the building. No update yet, as the Ministry that is overseeing the building has yet to respond to the inquiry. I'm not sure how much or what can be done now, as a demo permit was issued by the city on February 14:

Application: Demolition Folder (DM)

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 110475 DEM 00 DM
Issued Date: Feb 14, 2011
Project: Office Demolition
Description: Proposal to demolish existing five storey office building.

A bit more information regarding this property from the province. It sounds like the ORC is in talks with a developer for the property and are making efforts to protect (parts of? all of? facade of?) the building.

"The Ontario government owns and manages many properties that have cultural heritage value or interest. The Ministry of Tourism and Culture’s Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Provincial Heritage Properties help protect and preserve these properties. The Standards and Guidelines require that all provincially-owned property over 40 years old be assessed for heritage value. Under the Standards and Guidelines best efforts are to be made to ensure the protection of the property’s heritage value.

The Ontario Realty Corporation, which is an agency of the Ministry of Infrastructure, has been actively working with the City of Toronto and a potential purchaser on approaches to protect the property at 90 Harbour Street’s cultural heritage value."

A bit more information regarding this property from the province. It sounds like the ORC is in talks with a developer for the property and are making efforts to protect (parts of? all of? facade of?) the building.

Well if thats the case then they are not getting the big bucks for the property.....Come-on please, no one down there is going to be paying the going rate if they have all kinds of clauses on developing the property.
The only thing that i believe they can protect and save is a couple of facades that still will have to be re-located, the rest is junk.

Last edited:
I know we are on a roll in this city but this beautiful building must be kept as part of a bigger development.. build tall next to it but leave it alone.

90Harbourstreet.jpg

Came across this (toronto harbour centre mixed use development) under new projects in the OneSpace Unlimited Architects website....http://www.onespaceunlimited.com/
Looks like it sits just east of 60 Harbour street (the Harbour Commission bldg.) to Bay street..just makes me wonder if there is enough room to build these 3 buildings in that small lot.:confused:

harbourfront1.jpg

I would hope there is no serious consideration about tearing the Harbour Commission building down. There is more character in that building than any new construction will provide. A few derelict Victorians is one thing, but this is something completely different.

I would hope there is no serious consideration about tearing the Harbour Commission building down. There is more character in that building than any new construction will provide. A few derelict Victorians is one thing, but this is something completely different.

I agree, this a keeper that should never be touched.

Back