Toronto Sugar Wharf Condominiums (Phase 2) | 299m | 90s | Menkes | a—A

This is a monster of a project consisting of almost two supertalls and a very tall third skyscraper tower. That is I guess are being built simultaneously. And the podium will house an institution, retail, condo facilities and public park space across the street to boot! If this project gets started at the same time as One Yonge's 95 and 80 storey third tower. You will definitely see an IMPACT OF VERY TALL SKYSCRAPERS in this area Lol !!!!
This is sooo exciting !

This is a monster of a project consisting of almost two supertalls and a very tall third skyscraper tower. That is I guess are being built simultaneously. And the podium will house an institution, retail, condo facilities and public park space across the street to boot! If this project gets started at the same time as One Yonge's 95 and 80 storey third tower. You will definitely see an IMPACT OF VERY TALL SKYSCRAPERS in this area Lol !!!!
I'm looking forward to this project and 1 Yonge getting developed further, too. And it is very exciting. Some of the members have posted maps and animations of what it'll all look like when it's finished, of course. It's really going to be an awesome-looking skyline as it all gets closer to being completed. Along with all the other downtown projects, that will be added.
😃

Toronto Model 01-30-22 Sugar Wharf2.png

Toronto Model 01-30-22 Sugar Wharf.png

Is it me or does this look a bit small for a school? I can't imagine 7/10 classrooms is enough for even a middle school.
It looks like they're planning for only Grades K-6 (which I think is normal for TO as opposed to K-8 elsewhere in ON?) and only one classroom per Grade.

yup. Downtown condos actually have very few children on average, so the school loads in these areas aren't as high as one may initially suspect.

That gets in to how the child population of the city is in freefall right now and the huge demographic issues it presents... but that's for another thread.

Toronto's unaffordability and inability to build affordable, larger units is pushing families out of the GTA to southern Ontario as they can't affordably find adequate housing. It's also likely pushing Canada's already alarmingly low birth rates even further down.

It looks like they're planning for only Grades K-6 (which I think is normal for TO as opposed to K-8 elsewhere in ON?) and only one classroom per Grade.
yup. Downtown condos actually have very few children on average, so the school loads in these areas aren't as high as one may initially suspect.

That gets in to how the child population of the city is in freefall right now and the huge demographic issues it presents... but that's for another thread.

Toronto's unaffordability and inability to build affordable, larger units is pushing families out of the GTA to southern Ontario as they can't affordably find adequate housing. It's also likely pushing Canada's already alarmingly low birth rates even further down.

The TDSB is/was planning for a 455 student, grade JK-8 school at this location; that's what was in the business plan submitted to the ministry last year.

It would be odd if the school was drastically re-thought in the last few months.

I concede, the SPA documents seem to show a much smaller school.

But this is what the submission to the Ministry showed:

1643639752017.png

Hadn't noticed this:

1643639879875.png

Link to the above info, at the TDSB:

On that same page you'll note that the proposed capacity was the same at the new West Donlands school, and that this represents 910 pupil places of a projected 1,000 from waterfront area development.

(does not include East Harbour or the Portlands, just Bayfront/Quayside/Donlands etc.)

This is sooo exciting !
I don't know what's happened to me. I used to be a height fanboy, build it as tall as you can wherever you can.

I still like height of course and definitely get disappointed when buildings are chopped, but I also find myself calling out developments that are far too tall for their surroundings, and being against buildings that are tall but otherwise a disaster. This forum has done something totally unacceptable to me, it's made me nuanced!

That's my long winded way of saying I'm not looking forward to these. Almost supertalls are great and the school is very important, but these are so tall that they are going to stand out, from every angle, right on our waterfront. They're so tall that they wont be going anywhere for at least 100 years, certainly they'll be there for the rest of my lifetime, and that's a shame because the waterfront deserves better.

I don't know what's happened to me. I used to be a height fanboy, build it as tall as you can wherever you can.

I still like height of course and definitely get disappointed when buildings are chopped, but I also find myself calling out developments that are far too tall for their surroundings, and being against buildings that are tall but otherwise a disaster. This forum has done something totally unacceptable to me, it's made me nuanced!

That's my long winded way of saying I'm not looking forward to these. Almost supertalls are great and the school is very important, but these are so tall that they are going to stand out, from every angle, right on our waterfront. They're so tall that they wont be going anywhere for at least 100 years, certainly they'll be there for the rest of my lifetime, and that's a shame because the waterfront deserves better.
Totally agree. I've said it before and I'll say it again. not a fan of these or any of the other wall of bland, mediocre condos popping up along our waterfront. It's an unfortunate side-effect of the city's rapid growth despite the improvements to the waterfront.

I'm a quality over quantity kind of guy and it's a shame the era of our beautiful bank towers dominating the lake view is forever gone...
Toronto Skyline by Sean Daniel, on Flickr
I understand the city has to grow but one thinks we could have done more with our blank slate of a waterfront?

I don't mind any of the new lakefront additions (in fact, I like most of them), though perhaps it would have been better to have fewer twins. With Sugar Wharf in toto, there will be 5 sets of twins on the waterfront alone.
I like them. Our skyline will look amazing once it's done from the illustrations and animations I've seen. But a bit more variety would be good, too. I guess we can be glad it won't be full of triplets. 😃

Back