Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

^ Of course. Many of us disagree with those who continue to blast the building, but are simply tired of arguing a subjective opinion. I happen to think Trump (overall) is a nice building that significantly adds to the city. Yes, there are aspects that could've been handled better, but it certainly isn't an eyesore.

There's not a single redeeming characteristic that this tower possesses, exterior wise. It's absolutely brutal. It has the most beautiful interior that Toronto's hotel market has to offer, however.

Last edited:
^ Of course. Many of us disagree with those who continue to blast the building, but are simply tired of arguing a subjective opinion. I happen to think Trump (overall) is a nice building that significantly adds to the city. Yes, there are aspects that could've been handled better, but it certainly isn't an eyesore.

Agreed. Remember you are dealing with a forum where most members consider anything that slightly deviates from the pristine geometry of the black monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey to be gaudy.

Agreed. Remember you are dealing with a forum where most members consider anything that slightly deviates from the pristine geometry of the black monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey to be gaudy.

The concerns over the building's design go much further than that. Here are just a few complaints:

- The cladding is dull and dated.

- The window arrangement on the west side looks completely random and unorganized.

- The onion dome is executed very poorly. It could be a really interesting feature, but the way the mechanical box is built into the back of it looks very bad, and detracts from its prominence, from all angles. The dome would look much better if it rose at least a couple of floors above the top of the mechanical box. One can't look at the dome without noticing the carbuncle growing out of its backside. The roof is my biggest pet peeve with this project. Then there's issue with the crow's nest and access ladder.

- The lack of setbacks also make the building look really awkward and overbearing, from the west esp.

So all thats left to say on this thread is ya its ugly, possibly the ugliest large building on the skyline...and still not even finished after years and years...but at least the hotel gets high ratin gs on tripadvisor (facepalm)

one thing everyone didn't mention is that if this building was built to the original specs, this building would look 10 times better. And as you can see it looks nothing like the pic at the top of this thread. the height was reduced and now they screwed the whole design up and now it looks like a decapitated man, a lesson for the mirvish towers. DON'T MESS WITH THE DESIGN!!!!!!!

I suppose this belongs here...

"Oliver & Bonacini teams up with Charles Khabouth’s company to take over Stock and Suits at the Trump"

http://www.torontolife.com/daily-di.../12/trump-oliver-bonaccini-ink-entertainment/

Interesting.....they did a press release as well....

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/oliver--bonacini-restaurants-and-ink-entertainment-announce-agreement-with-trump-international-hotel--tower-toronto-235447131.html

from the press release: "Our collaboration ensures that the property will be Toronto's most sensational hotel experience, with cutting-edge entertainment and nightlife options," said Charles Khabouth, CEO of INK Entertainment.

Fixed that for you. It always sucks to see a building come out looking nothing like what the approved drawings and renders depict.

Although I am no longer with the development, the criticism of this building still amazes me. There are certainly aspects I too wish had never been changed, but such is the nature of getting a building built. Unfortunately, it does sometimes have to happen. I too miss the setbacks in the original building design and the additional 150 feet of height and the Skyplex two-storey units (which would have been amazing). With the addition of many smaller suites to accommodate buyer requests, a compromise had to be made for a number of reasons. As someone who worked with the rendering firm when we made the initial renderings, when comparing the renderings to the completed building it did come out pretty close to it. And I also agree, it would have been better with the setbacks and the additional floor at the top penthouse to help push the onion dome a little bit higher than the mechanical box. I don't recall the engineering rationale behind it, but it was changed for a reason. With such a small footprint, much had to be done to work around the 21 various elevators in the building.

As I'm sure everyone who has been around the forum a while remembers, there was doubt from the beginning that this building would ever actually get built--even when we were under construction. But it did. And it took a very resolute development team to make that happen. I am very proud of the team and what was accomplished. This was a very expensive building to get built and corners were not cut. The interiors are fantastic. And, as that is where people living and staying in the building will spend the majority of their time, the fine details were very important. There are obviously a few loose ends to clean up and finish on the exterior, but when it is all said and done, this property makes a fantastic addition to the heart of the city, on a very small piece of land.

1470063_10151540253797824_656356770_n.jpg

Attachments

• 1470063_10151540253797824_656356770_n.jpg
    1470063_10151540253797824_656356770_n.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 496
It appears that no details were overlooked re the interior; why that same impeccable attention couldn't be placed on the exterior is anyone's guess. That's what is most frustrating. The interior decor is incredible, but the outside of the building is atrocious.

It appears that no details were overlooked re the interior; why that same impeccable attention couldn't be placed on the exterior is anyone's guess. That's what is most frustrating. The interior decor is incredible, but the outside of the building is atrocious.

Interior detail will be noticed by everyone. Exterior detail will only be noticed by people like us.

Back