Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Well, from what I've heard of occupancy rates, no one wants to stay there, anyway.

The only thing useful I've seen TRUM do for this particular corner of Downtown is attract the odd Ferrari.

Occupancy rates have been just fine and in-line with expectations for a recently opened hotel. And in fact there have been sold-out nights over the past few months. What you have read in The Star or elsewhere were based upon purchasers who received their statements after the hotel had only been open for 3 months during a soft-opening phase, while construction was still ongoing (and obviously, discounted rates because of that). No hotel ever opens with full occupancy and full rack rates when it opens its doors for the first time. It usually takes 2-3 years at minimum to achieve stable occupancy level and rates.

And yes, I too hope that the P is put in place, the lightline is made fully functioning and that the final repairs will be completed soon!

The fact that the hotel has held the #1 spot on Tripadvisor.com for nearly a year now shows that the hotel has obviously been doing something right!

Occupancy rates have been just fine and in-line with expectations for a recently opened hotel. And in fact there have been sold-out nights over the past few months. What you have read in The Star or elsewhere were based upon purchasers who received their statements after the hotel had only been open for 3 months during a soft-opening phase, while construction was still ongoing (and obviously, discounted rates because of that). No hotel ever opens with full occupancy and full rack rates when it opens its doors for the first time. It usually takes 2-3 years at minimum to achieve stable occupancy level and rates.

And yes, I too hope that the P is put in place, the lightline is made fully functioning and that the final repairs will be completed soon!

The fact that the hotel has held the #1 spot on Tripadvisor.com for nearly a year now shows that the hotel has obviously been doing something right!

Thanks for the update Trump Toronto. We appreciate your insights.

I think a lot of the negative buzz from this forum about Trump is rooted in frustration. People want to see this tower in its optimal form with the lightline lit, P installed and repairs completed. It's obviously in Trump's best interest to have these "to-dos" expedited to boost its brand, as well as its impact on the skyline. Then, the conversation will change to focus on the prominent impression it makes in the downtown core - a signature achievement bound to outweigh the long-fought battle to get there.

In my humble opinion, Trump may wish to build a PR campaign around the final push to complete the remaining cosmetic / functional "to-dos". Almost like a laundry list of positive "to-dos" counting down to the finish line of the long-awaited lightline lighting - sure to attract national attention. This will help change the conversation to focus on the positive things being done now to get Trump Tower to its optimal form.

Well, from what I've heard of occupancy rates, no one wants to stay there, anyway.

The only thing useful I've seen TRUM do for this particular corner of Downtown is attract the odd Ferrari.

Doubt it ... read reviews, both professional and armature (i.e. tripadvisor and the like), this is the highest rated hotel in Toronto, better then any of the other 5 start hotels that opened up in the last 5 years.

So regardless of what we think others love it .....

That's the thing, we shouldn't have to "HOPE", the developers made an agreement to install the public art feature and operate it, and so far they've only installed it. They are breaking promises with the city and legal action should be taken. It's been 6 years, this isn't a supertall this is an average building with a cheap design that's already operating and raking in cash, there are no real excuses for it to have taken this long.

I'm sure the Trump is very nice inside. I have heard good things.

I'm sure it's meeting occupancy expectations.

But as someone who is a neighbour of this building, who sees it every day and sees the issues that STILL remain outstanding...yes, loss of patience would describe it very well. As a piece of architecture, the fact that it's still not finished, that there are still missing pieces on the building, and a lighting fixture that apparently is way down on the priority list to get working (despite a very nice sign at ground level identifying it as a piece of art completed in 2012) give me a serious case of the grumps. But I guess the building doesn't need to please me. I'm just a lowly drone across the street, with no Ferrari.

And as of early this week, the entrance ceiling already appears that it's been hit again.
Not as badly as last time, only scratches on the drywall. But we all know they will remain until next year's TIFF.
Speaking of TIFF, during that festival a car backed up so close to one of the granite-clad columns in the porte cochere, that a few granite pieces broke.

I wonder if one contacted, Donald Trump, via Twitter, or whatever, and explained to him how the building's exterior is still incomplete, if he would do anything about it? I'm sure he would be pretty upset to know that the sign atop has read, TRUM, for what -- a year now? That can't be good for his brand or his ego.

Last edited:
I wonder if one contacted, Donald Trump, via Twitter, or whatever, and explained to him how the building's exterior is still incomplete, if he would do anything about it. I'm sure he would be pretty upset to know that the sign atop had read, TRUM, for what -- a year now? That can't be good for his brand or his ego.
So, let's arrange a mass Twitter mention of his name and #trumtoronto on a certain day at the same time. That will get his attention.

So, let's arrange a mass Twitter mention of his name and #trumtoronto on a certain day at the same time. That will get his attention.

I sent him a message on Twitter. He should recognize me from my days as the first baseman for the Philadelphia Phillies, and be quick to respond.

Last edited:
I wonder if one contacted, Donald Trump, via Twitter, or whatever, and explained to him how the building's exterior is still incomplete, if he would do anything about it. I'm sure he would be pretty upset to know that the sign atop had read, TRUM, for what -- a year now? That can't be good for his brand or his ego.

Give it a try.

View from Trump

trump.jpg

Back