Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Looks pretty boxy to me - but nowhere as nice as the clean Bay-Adelaide box, and without the crisp lines of the superior Scotia Plaza.

A tower with all these setbacks....curved facades.....quarter onions ,.....and mixed materials....can not be boxy. It's just not a minimalist box at all. TD Center, Commerce Court West, even FCP.....BOXY. Even RBC can be boxy from wide side.
This is a mixed palette of, many schools of design, hints of classic, with post modern and a mish mash of culturalism. (1/4 onion)...it's everything but a "modern" school box.
I like it mote than i used to, the look up with the other big boys is pretty cool...... , the density this creates on this block, rivals most any block anywhere in the U.S., when she tops out BA, Scotia and Trump will be a sweet cluster.

I like the stone facing on the lower levels and the slender appearance is a welcome change to the bulkiness of other nearby buildings. It's actually fitting in very nicely at street level, after all the initial worry over above ground parking etc. It's turning out better than I had expected. I don't however like the off-centre quarter onion at the peak, it's a bit too 80's PoMo for my liking.

Trump ain't a box. face it.
to me a box is a tower like the Bay Adelaide Centre, FCP, Four Seasons, etc. flat roof kinda towers.
Like the others are saying, trump's got setbacks, a partially curved facade, lantern roof, etc.

It's boxes then.

Yeah, there are setbacks, curves, lanterns, dreary colours, balconies that stick out suddenly, a lousy looking east wall...

Sure it's not a conventional "box." But I think a well done "box" would have been much better than this.

trump from morning

sany0007dz.jpg

sany0007dd.jpg

Last edited:
I count 38-42 stories ? So about 20 more to go ?

I'm beginning to think that different coloured glass isn't a mistake. Looks like they're mixing it up to create a some sort of pattern. The exterior of this building has a lot going on.

It's boxes then.

Yeah, there are setbacks, curves, lanterns, dreary colours, balconies that stick out suddenly, a lousy looking east wall...

Sure it's not a conventional "box." But I think a well done "box" would have been much better than this.

Exactly. TT is essentially a box with minor pippy poos and doo dads tacked on at various places. There are 4 90-degree corners, a little setback here and there, and a flat top with a bit of a callick going on (1/4 onion). Still, as Gristle said, it's a well done box.

They should have at least stuck with single-colour glass curtain wall. The horizontal striping effect is distracting and actually takes away from the overall massing. Better glass would have accentuated the set-backs and the verticality of the tower, and made the eighth-of-an-onion up top stand out more. The aforementioned pippy poos that marcus_a_j noted are also a visual distraction.

I'm not really liking how the different spacing of the floors is being reflected on the façade. The darker bands should have remained constant, or some other solution to make it look more unified.

agree completely - all the variations in floor heights, window shapes and appearance of random changes in the glass in quite jarring and seriously detracts from the overall appearance. The other thing I am feeling is that the model with Trump himself standing beside it (which I absolutely love btw) made the building appear somewhat light and airy. What we are getting in reality seems very heavy and not airy at all. The shoddy planning and execution is killing what originally looked like a solid design.

Back