Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

From my POV (BAC blocks much of the view) I can only see the top 1/4 of Lightline, and it looks like bugs in the strip are finally being ironed out. A couple of the effects work, several others don't yet. But it looks like they are finally committed to getting this thing working over the past couple of weeks of testing.

From what I've seen to date, Lightline has been reduced to a mere decorative strip in pretty much a single colour approximating the lurid violet that is used as a backdrop in the Calvin at street level (admittedly sometimes seeming almost white depending on the intensity of the light and the distance of the viewer).

The patterns I've seen so far are delivered mostly in a jarring and choppy manner and at a frantic and disquieting pace, reminiscent of when the CN Tower first got its LEDs and wanted to "show off." Thank god the CN toned that down on the whole (though it still has its moments). This isn't Vegas. I'm hopeful they'll work it out in the short term.

For those of us that remember the initial tests, the variety of colours and the overlapping of stunning images and/or patterns which could be seen with crystal clarity from a great distance (the intense snowflake pattern comes to mind at this time of year, which would have been perfect for skaters in NPS), the present version seems to be a safe "For Sale" sign, not the complete work of the artist who made it such an interesting project. Hopefully new owners will unleash the many variants Snow and his team worked to create.

From what I've seen to date, Lightline has been reduced to a mere decorative strip in pretty much a single colour approximating the lurid violet that is used as a backdrop in the Calvin at street level (admittedly sometimes seeming almost white depending on the intensity of the light and the distance of the viewer).

The patterns I've seen so far are delivered mostly in a jarring and choppy manner and at a frantic and disquieting pace, reminiscent of when the CN Tower first got its LEDs and wanted to "show off." Thank god the CN toned that down on the whole (though it still has its moments). This isn't Vegas. I'm hopeful they'll work it out in the short term.

For those of us that remember the initial tests, the variety of colours and the overlapping of stunning images and/or patterns which could be seen with crystal clarity from a great distance (the intense snowflake pattern comes to mind at this time of year, which would have been perfect for skaters in NPS), the present version seems to be a safe "For Sale" sign, not the complete work of the artist who made it such an interesting project. Hopefully new owners will unleash the many variants Snow and his team worked to create.

Hopefully the city will keep the sword above their heads and make sure they deliver what was promised in terms of public art.

AoD

I can see the light strip (and flashing light) clearly all the way from North York, which is quite impressive. I would take a photo but I don't have a proper camera for it.

The visual effects that this light feature does is pretty good but why do they keep it at a dull purple glow? I remember seeing it bright white a few years back and I think it was different colours too, so why the dull colour now?

Last edited:
I would like to see more colours as well but I'm glad it's been on regularly. The purple is better than white light though in my opinion.

This isn't a political forum; keep your smart ass comments about Trump to yourself.

Not sure if you've been following the news but Trump was elected POTUS on a campaign marked with heavy under(and over)currents of mysogeny and racism. Our skyline is now marked with that brand. His name is literally garrishly stamped on one of the most visible and prominent buildings in the city. How is that not an urban design/public space issue?
...pretty lights tho

Back