Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

I don't have a subscription to the Globe & Mail ( I will never pay for their garbage) so I don't know what is behind the dispute. Why would Talon have a problem with the Trump Organizations management of the Trump Toronto Hotel & Tower? In Toronto the Hotel is ranked number one on Tripadvisor with a solid Five Star rating. I suspect that the occupancy rate numbers are equally impressive. The value of the Trump brand has never been higher and it will go right through the roof in about seven months when Donald J. Trump is elected the next President of the United States. At that time they will be able to change the signage to "President Trump Toronto Hotel & Tower"

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Re...onal_Hotel_Tower_Toronto-Toronto_Ontario.html

I don't like Trump's "politics" as much as the next person, but the Trump name hospitality wise hasn't been affected.

Having stayed at the Trump in Toronto, it is hands down one of the nicest hotels in the city. Great service, beautiful rooms. When it comes to a five star luxury hotel, I'm not sure most people care about the name of the hotel.

I don't like Trump's "politics" as much as the next person, but the Trump name hospitality wise hasn't been affected.

Having stayed at the Trump in Toronto, it is hands down one of the nicest hotels in the city. Great service, beautiful rooms. When it comes to a five star luxury hotel, I'm not sure most people care about the name of the hotel.

I have no doubt the management of the place is exceptional. Nobody would have signed on with the Trump brand to manage the place had it not been.

But as for the Trump name, the owners says that the brand has been impacted - the hotel is being ignored at TIFF, for example. Even before Trump's foray into politics, they say that the brand simply wasn't measuring up to Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton and Shangri-La. Occupancy is not where it should be. I think when it comes to five-star luxury hotels, image counts for a lot.

As I am unfortunately not a Globe Unlimited subscriber, I am unable to read any of the article. Too bad, because it sounds as though I'm missing something wonderful.
If you pick up a hard copy, it's in the magazine section. And as a bonus, a rehash of the Oland murder case!

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe (as a comment up-thread indicated) that the Trump organization is managing Trump TO—they've just licensed the name for use. Which is ironic, given that the name is now in a state of international disrepute.

Can't wait for this hotel to officially cut ties with Drumpf.

I am amazed at how many condo and hotel units remain unsold (at least half). This is probably an ongoing financial disaster for Talon (which explains, despite many many promises, why the art installation remains unfinished). Cute the ties to Trump, try to rebrand and then attempt a fresh start to sell the remaining units. The alternative is continued financial drain.

It is the Trump organization managing the hotel. Despite everything, they seem to be very good hotel managers.

It's the unsold units, not the hotel's performance, as best I know, that has Shnaider and Talon fed-up. People seem to be willing to spend a little time at the hotel, but few want to buy into a building with Trump's name on it.

Ehhhh, who knows, maybe that hotel's taken a hit lately too, but it really is the unsold real estate that is the major problem.

It is the Trump organization managing the hotel. Despite everything, they seem to be very good hotel managers.

It's the unsold units, not the hotel's performance, as best I know, that has Shnaider and Talon fed-up. People seem to be willing to spend a little time at the hotel, but few want to buy into a building with Trump's name on it.

Ehhhh, who knows, maybe that hotel's taken a hit lately too, but it really is the unsold real estate that is the major problem.

That's a good point about the branding. The Trump name is coming to be associated with Trump's political image. He appeals to a blue collar support base that's fed up with the way the political and corporate establishment has managed the nation. That's hardly what you want to associate with a luxury product.

If this is not a case of the hotel management doing an unsatisfactory job well, you picked your marketing strategy.

I have heard a number of unsold suites have been pulled from just about every 5 star hotel projects. Trump is in even worse position as the hotel is condo ownership. Anyone know more?

Last edited:

Back