Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

For some of you, it seems no matter what Trump Toronto accomplishes, you will always wish to trash it in any way you can. It's been going on since we launched the project 10 years ago. And yet, the building sold and it got built. The hotel opened. And now, it is rated five-star, just as we said it would be all along. I'm not ignoring some of the outstanding issues to be resolved, but simply, give credit where credit is due. Be proud of the accomplishment. And be proud of the attention that five-star ratings brings to the city.

Agreed. We've all complained about certain aspects of the project (for me, the delays), but let's remember that this project, against all the odds, has placed a 5 star property on the site of a tiny parking lot.

Forum members should not lament over what they didn't get, but appreciate what we did. Same goes for other projects in the city.

CAA/AAA use a "diamonds" rating system. Five-diamonds is tough to achieve, but they are a little more generous. The Forbes (formerly "Mobil") star-system is a little more stringent in handing out 5-star designations. The Forbes Five-Star system is the rating that hotels strive for the most and is the most respected. It's very difficult to earn a five-star rating from them. And I'm very proud of the team at Trump Toronto for all of their hard work.

With two five-star hotels being recognized in Toronto, we should simply be proud! Now having two five-star rated hotels, it tells the world elite that Toronto belongs and should be mentioned as one of top cities in the world. I love the city.

For some of you, it seems no matter what Trump Toronto accomplishes, you will always wish to trash it in any way you can. It's been going on since we launched the project 10 years ago. And yet, the building sold and it got built. The hotel opened. And now, it is rated five-star, just as we said it would be all along. I'm not ignoring some of the outstanding issues to be resolved, but simply, give credit where credit is due. Be proud of the accomplishment. And be proud of the attention that five-star ratings brings to the city.

Yes, that's great news. Do you know if and when, the light feature will be working on Trump? I'm really looking forward to it. Also will that crow's nest ever come down or was it meant to be permanent?

um first things first, who gives a damn about the "world elite"? im concerned about justice, the entire project was built on certain notions of mutuality, one of which was a public art feature that failed to materialize. as far as us lowly proles are concerned all we've gotten is another honking shadow and a smear on our skyline. the city should have sued a loooong time ago.

Last edited:
Suing wouldn't have gotten it finished, what with the extensive litigation already ongoing with unit owners and unpaid trades. Why would the city want to throw money into a hole?

In a few years, The Big Haired Bigot will lose the contract and then maybe it will become a Mandarin Oriental or something else nice.

Yes, that's great news. Do you know if and when, the light feature will be working on Trump? I'm really looking forward to it. Also will that crow's nest ever come down or was it meant to be permanent?

The last I heard, the lightline feature should be working soon. I know they had some technical difficulties (some parts were not working correctly) and were working Speirs & Major in the UK (who helped design it and create it) to fix it. In regards to the crow's nest, I believe it is unfortunately permanent and necessary in order to clean and service the spire. It was added to the construction drawings in 2010 if I recall correctly.

I was so sure, that was only temporary, so that kinda baffles me. If that crows nest is permanent, why didn't they at least put some effort into making it look better? Why was it not incorporated into the structure, in a better way? At least they could have painted it green, so it wouldn't be so noticeable or maybe build it out of a different material, like copper. That just baffles me, how something so inappropriate can just be so ignored. It looks like a piece of construction scaffolding to me. How could this be acceptable on a 5 star hotel/condo? It's unbelievable!

Welcome to Hogtown!!

I see this kind of comment on numerous threads, as if there is some kind of conspiracy causing new builds just here in Toronto to suffer from problems, changes of design, cost-cutting and inaccurate renderings.

Guys, this is the same the world over. Why do some Torontonians seem to relish their insecurity? As a (relative) newcomer to this city, I still can't understand this mindset.

Last edited:
True, however, the tower on the exterior still looks so bad, such as mismatched glass panes, awkward-placed ventilation panels on the east side, the crows-nest issue at the top plus the malfunctioning light, amongst other concerns, that we will always be able to make fun of this tower's exterior. (Yes, i know the interiors are nice but the exterior is so bad that it absolutely deserves to be mocked.)

Not just mismatched glass--actual missing glass. Yes, my pet teal glass panel is still missing.

fallen panels are not a big deal

Judging the fact that blocks have to be closed off for safety reasons when there is even a risk of glass falling should illustrate for you that it is in fact a "big deal". Would you like to be hit/cut by falling glass while you're casually walking up Bay Street?

As for "this problem could be fixed easily", that's exactly why it's so unnecessary. It should never have become a problem in the first place.

Back