Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

What the photos and video posted above don't yet show is that the seemingly innocuous flashing white strobe light at the top of the spire lights up the white glass on the East and a portion of the North face of FCP quite brightly about once every second or so, such that FCP looks like it's enjoying a bit of a photo shoot at the level of the BMO logos. From the East/NorthEast it's a bit distracting because you start to focus on the colours of the spire but the flashes on FCP keep drawing your attention away. It was really bad the first night but they seem to have managed to tone it down quite a bit tonight, almost to the level that it should not be too noticeable.

In drum's great videos from last night it looks like the KPMG sign on the south (facing the north side of Trump) is now turned off. Otherwise it would be blasting a whole lot of light on the Trump building.

Just passed by 10 minutes ago, I'm not impressed at all. The light is not consistent, on some panels the light is slightly different and the fact that the light beam on the top looks wider ruins the whole idea.

Just passed by 10 minutes ago, I'm not impressed at all. The light is not consistent, on some panels the light is slightly different and the fact that the light beam on the top looks wider ruins the whole idea.

Poor execution to the very end.

In fairness Zeiss, everything is still at the testing/calibration phase. Let them finish before passing final judgment.

In fairness Zeiss, everything is still at the testing/calibration phase. Let them finish before passing final judgment.

there is no waiting necessary with this thing. the final judgement has long since been rendered. this project has been blowing holes in peoples expectations for years, and the sense of disappointment and dismay has been accumulating steadily from the moment they started to clad the building.

this final coup de grâce, a ridiculous, poorly conceived, and poorly handled lighted "racing stripe", is just rubbing salt into the wound.

From my POV (not so good from the north looking south)

Agreed. That stupid crows nest thing disrupts the flow of the LED. Why did they put red lights around it? It just highlights the break in flow even more. Honestly, this building is a mess. I hate it.

You all realize it looks different at the top as the protective covering over the lights hasn't been installed yet in the top section ? Hence the variance ...

I passed by again 15 minutes ago and the light was on and changing the colors. They are probably working on the lights to fix the problems.

patience_yoda-23672.jpg

Back