Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

It is the mast for the concrete pump. You can see the other portion of it (the actual pump) lying on it's side on the west terrace.

Question about the tower crane. Does it go all the way down to the ground or is it bolted to the inside of the building somewhere near the top? And how are they going to get it down? Is there a ground crane that can reach that high?

Question about the tower crane. Does it go all the way down to the ground or is it bolted to the inside of the building somewhere near the top? And how are they going to get it down? Is there a ground crane that can reach that high?

No, it doesn't go down to the ground. There is a cavity left open in the building, and the crane mast extends down approximately 6 floors. One common misconception is that crane masts are placed within elevator shafts, which is a myth. They leave a section of floor open, and then reform and pour it as the crane jacks itself up the building. When it comes time to disassemble the crane, they will erect small derrick cranes on the top, and use those to take it down.

July 14 - what is the crane hoisting?

5937113064_516ef29b83_b.jpg

it's hard to tell, but see how far back the portion of the floor is on the south/west side? is that how far back the setback is going to be? or is that part of the floor not assembled yet and will be flush with the area immediately following the onion dome corner area?

it's hard to tell, but see how far back the portion of the floor is on the south/west side? is that how far back the setback is going to be? or is that part of the floor not assembled yet and will be flush with the area immediately following the onion dome corner area?

Yes, that is the setback for the L56 terrace.

If you looked at the 10:14 photo, the pump boom is laying on 55 Floor? At 4:00 the crane was holding it in the air over the roof and then place it back down on the (?)55 floor. Sound like they put it back on the shaft to do a pour and then removed. I took some other shots from the distance earlier and need to do a blow up, as I think the boom was missing then as well have to check the time of the shots.

The rest of the concrete will be place by the crane.

To the best of my knowledge, they did not pump any significant amount of concrete today, and instead spent time reconfiguring the piping and boom location. L57 slab isn't even finished being formed yet, so any concrete that they potentially placed would be insignificant. It also would not make sense for them to erect a mast for a concrete boom if they don't intend to use it.

Looking at my 4:18 pm photo, 2 people were standing on top of the shaft after the boom was moved from it.

They were likely the swampers who were rigging the boom to be lowered.

The mast and boom were being moved because the old location was an interference and didn't provide the required reach for one of the elevator shafts. The boom they lowered was the old boom, which is being swapped out for an offset boom, which should provide the required reach.

They'll be pouring L57 slab with the new boom. Tomorrow if all goes well.

right, but is it a jagged setback? (pushes further away at the south-west area)

No, it won't be a "jagged" setback.

Last edited:
July 14
Looking at the various photos I shot at different times, what I was seeing after 4 pm was the attemp to install the boom, as it looked freshly painted and the attemp fail for some reason. When lowering the boom back to 55 floor, it was not level and off balance. In some way until pointed out being swapped in and out I though it was in the way of doing the final work up there and why it was moved.

From John St 11:42 am
5939192836_663ff15fc4_b.jpg

University 11:59 am
5939204918_bdfb4bb9e4_b.jpg

5939205870_798a7d446f_b.jpg

Yorkville 3:42 pm
5938809655_b292c10462_b.jpg

Elm 4:18 pm You can see 2 people on top of the shaft watching the boom
5939374348_e6b9a46a79_b.jpg

City Hall 4:35 pm
5939380026_5f7f842ac8_b.jpg

4:36 pm
5939380688_4c297cea59_b.jpg

Wouldn't it be amazing if we had someone like wopchop on every project? It has been a reel boon to have an insider post the goings on at this site. The fact that he is so knowledgeable about the construction process has been good but what makes him even more appreciated is his willingness to answer questions so readily. Furthermore he is a regular contributor and his responses are respectful, educational and thorough, without being pedantic or patronizing. He goes the extra mile to find the answer to a question and never fails to follow up on a promise of finding that answer. He posts accurate diagrams to clearly illustrate the point he may be making. Then to make him an even better contributor, he often posts his own images from inside the construction site.

For all of the above reasons and for posting Above and Beyond the call of Members...

I hereby proclaim that wopchop receives the first official Urban Toronto's Best Contributor Award.

(An award that I just made up and comes with no actual benefits)

:D

Back