Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

That rendering is very out of date, but it keeps showing up in their marketing. This has been mentioned a bunch of times.

Here's a rough comparison of what was chopped (left side is most recent, right side is the original), although this rendered perspective is distorted, so it's still not easy to tell that it's really shorter than Scotia. This just gives you some idea how much it was shortened relative to the old design.

trumptowertoronto.jpg

This post contains a really good comparison based on public knowledge.

Anyway, in terms of visibility, the height doesn't matter. Even if it was 50 stories it would still be visible because its footprint doesn't directly line up next to Scotia. Scotia's set way in from Adelaide.

Also, overall design and street level are 1,000,000,000,000 times more important than raw height, just so you know.

Last edited:
In this instance, I actually think the shorter version looks better. The much taller spire looks fantastic.

In terms of how it will show up in our skyline, I would have loved for this one to pop up above First Canadian Place as our landmark building. Its beautiful design and spire are certainly up to the job.

Thankfully, FCP isn't sitting idle with the title and will grace our skyline with a new shimmering skin. Hopefully though, our next supertall will follow in the footsteps of Trump, L Tower or the Ritz.

It was reported as an elevator issue, however I wouldn't be surprised if that was just used as a cover for lack of sales. TT Chicago went up with so many unsold units, and now sits pretty much empty. Thats being blamed on the price being too inflated for the market at the time.

There was a reorganization of the unit mix, price-points and unit sizes that favoured additional more smaller units. The developer claimed that elevator capacity was an issue - however the claimed capacity issue followed the re-organization of interior floor-plates when the larger more expensive units were not being absorbed. So it was perhaps a technical issue (which I feel was being exaggerated) - but the technical issue only arose following changes to the unit mix due to slower than expected sales of the larger, more expensive units. Thus the project was scaled back.

In this instance, I actually think the shorter version looks better. The much taller spire looks fantastic.

I'm not sure the spire actually changed in terms of height or if it's just the rendering. Just my opinion, but the elimination of one of the setbacks creates a somewhat more awkward design - I preferred having more of a series of setbacks as the tower rose. The set-backs gave the tower a better profile and stature regardless of the actual height.

Last edited:
Shot of the 13th floor - click, click and expand. Note the incredible amount of rebar being installed in the lowered floor area in the south east corner. If the floor level in this corner is poured to the same height as the rest of the 13th floor, then this is going to be one massive and thick section of floor. Anybody have an idea why the floor would need to be reinforced so much here?

Attachments

• TT 13th floor Oct 27-09 001.jpg
    TT 13th floor Oct 27-09 001.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 325
Now that the complex basement and parkade has been done, I think Trump will spring up quickly. I bet that by next spring we'll have a very tall tower with cladding creeping up below.

Very nice angle!!!!

*that shot makes it SO easy to picture Trump's mark on the skyline and street wall!

*MAN.....Arnell Plaza looks SOOO empty cause of BA2's footprint!

I really, really like those pictures. In particular, I like the blurred and streaked car lights at the bottom with the perfect in-focus towers rising up. Gives a real sense of TT forcefully reaching up to the heights of the other towers around.

Back