Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

Oh good an integrated design firm has been paid to do the whole-song-and-dance "public consultation" - you wouldn't want amateurs involved, like the people who do business there or who shop there or local residents or the existing management structure, no, no you don't want that. God forbid that you should trust existing market staffers, the general public etc., to come up with some ideas. DIALOG - you know they are serious because it's all CAPS in the title, clever that. Stops people from thinking too much, you know like "why are these poncey gits yelling at me?" or "that's not how you spell dialogue".
And also, as I have said before, we need an internet snark mark to indicate sarcasm so i am doing so now, you know showing the initiative, getting out in front of it, being ahead of the curve, setting the trend, etc, etc, ad nauseam >>>> ¬

Oh good an integrated design firm has been paid to do the whole-song-and-dance "public consultation" - you wouldn't want amateurs involved, like the people who do business there or who shop there or local residents or the existing management structure, no, no you don't want that. God forbid that you should trust existing market staffers, the general public etc., to come up with some ideas. DIALOG - you know they are serious because it's all CAPS in the title, clever that. Stops people from thinking too much, you know like "why are these poncey gits yelling at me?" or "that's not how you spell dialogue".
And also, as I have said before, we need an internet snark mark to indicate sarcasm so i am doing so now, you know showing the initiative, getting out in front of it, being ahead of the curve, setting the trend, etc, etc, ad nauseam >>>> ¬

Huh? DIALOG is an architectural firm - you know, someone has to come up with the actual architectural details and plans for the renovation - with feedback from the businesses and users?

AoD

Last edited:
I know that there has been a public market north of Front St since the early 1800s, but I think it would have made a lot of sense to build a multi-use building where the temporary market is currently. Putting a multi-use public square to the north of Front would showcase the heritage building up on King Street, and could still accommodate an outdoor market and other programming as needed (and showcase the heritage drain). The new north market as planned will have no underground pedestrian connection underneath Front, requiring an awkward pedestrian surface crossing. It would be much easier to connect the main market to a new south market with a pedestrian bridge. Also, a new parking structure could be located underneath the playground and green spaces across Jarvis, which are in need of a rethink anyway, making a completely weather protected shopping experience for those seeking it. Getting to the large Green P parking garage is a constant hassle for both pedestrians and vehicles, so locating a garage directly off Jarvis would reduce this problem.

20180621_122152-PANO.jpg

Attachments

• 20180621_122152-PANO.jpg
    20180621_122152-PANO.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 544
I know that there has been a public market north of Front St since the early 1800s, but I think it would have made a lot of sense to build a multi-use building where the temporary market is currently. Putting a multi-use public square to the north of Front would showcase the heritage building up on King Street, and could still accommodate an outdoor market and other programming as needed (and showcase the heritage drain). The new north market as planned will have no underground pedestrian connection underneath Front, requiring an awkward pedestrian surface crossing. It would be much easier to connect the main market to a new south market with a pedestrian bridge. Also, a new parking structure could be located underneath the playground and green spaces across Jarvis, which are in need of a rethink anyway, making a completely weather protected shopping experience for those seeking it. Getting to the large Green P parking garage is a constant hassle for both pedestrians and vehicles, so locating a garage directly off Jarvis would reduce this problem.

That space is about half the size of the north market site - you may not end up with a lot of usable space for things like the courts like the current plans accommodated.

What I do like to see is connecting all three sites underground, dig down the St. Lawrence Market to accommodate an extra floor of uses (plus open the floor plate up partially for circulation elements) - and relocate loading facilities to the south site underground with a multi-use plaza on top (open air farmers market, food festivals, whatnot).

AoD

Better circulation and underground connections would be a big improvement. Building where the temp market is would make it easier to relocate loading facilities, and integrating a new underground parking structure across the street would also be a big plus in my opinion.

As far as the courts above the proposed north market -- Couldn't they relocate those courts into the new courts tower they're building near City hall? We could share facilities better across governments and save some public money.

Better circulation and underground connections would be a big improvement. Building where the temp market is would make it easier to relocate loading facilities, and integrating a new underground parking structure across the street would also be a big plus in my opinion.

As far as the courts above the proposed north market -- Couldn't they relocate those courts into the new courts tower they're building near City hall? We could share facilities better across governments and save some public money.

I don't think they could - different courts, I believe.

AoD

An interesting idea, the area where the temporary market is now has been designated for a park.
Yes, but it COULD be a park below or above 'loading docks' (i.e. move them to south side of The Esplanade.) The SLM clearly has a problem with the current loading docks location and space but there do not seem to be many alternatives. It will be interesting to see if this comers up at the public meeting next Wednesday. It should!

I hope they serve refreshments at the meeting, I'm not going to yak away without refreshments. I think the plan for the North Market has been confirmed and they are still working on preserving the stonework from the 1815 building (herring bone pattern work that is visible at the site).

I hope they serve refreshments at the meeting, I'm not going to yak away without refreshments. I think the plan for the North Market has been confirmed and they are still working on preserving the stonework from the 1815 building (herring bone pattern work that is visible at the site).
This meeting is NOT on the North Market - it is about possible improvements to the South Market, in particular the lower level. In general food is NOT provided at City consultations so if you want to eat you had best bring some food with you! Discussion on the SOUTH Market would be best in the St lawrence Market thread: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/st-lawrence-market.8111/page-46

To return to the North Market. You are correct that some of the 'archaeology' uncovered at the North Market site has been removed and will be displayed in the new North Market building - primarily the 'porcupine drain". More on that further up this thread.

This meeting is NOT on the North Market - it is about possible improvements to the South Market, in particular the lower level. In general food is NOT provided at City consultations so if you want to eat you had best bring some food with you! Discussion on the SOUTH Market would be best in the St lawrence Market thread: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/st-lawrence-market.8111/page-46

To return to the North Market. You are correct that some of the 'archaeology' uncovered at the North Market site has been removed and will be displayed in the new North Market building - primarily the 'porcupine drain". More on that further up this thread.

I know the meeting is about the South Market, I do hope they are working closely with existing vendors to come up with solutions. The Market is a prestige destination for visitors to the city - it should be top notch. I can't tell you how many people I see who are disappointed when they realize it is closed on Mondays so maybe that minefield will be opened up again (although I don't think it is a bad thing to close for 2 days a week).

I know the meeting is about the South Market, I do hope they are working closely with existing vendors to come up with solutions. The Market is a prestige destination for visitors to the city - it should be top notch. I can't tell you how many people I see who are disappointed when they realize it is closed on Mondays so maybe that minefield will be opened up again (although I don't think it is a bad thing to close for 2 days a week).
The meeting will not discuss hours (or days) of opening, it's to discuss design changes that will affect both customers and merchants (who have an organisation that has, I assume, made comments.) There are very mixed views on hours: as a local resident I wish it were open 7/7; the reason it isn't is that the vendors are small family firms who want 2-day weekends.

Back