Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

Considering all of the notable, barely half century old architecture that we've lost over the past 2 or 3 decades, with nary a peep--Aeroquay One, Inn on the Park, Bata Building, Riverdale Hospital, Bulova/Shell Tower come to mind--it makes my blood boil that civic minions are losing their collective sh*t over a friggin drain pipe simply because it has outlasted the average lifespan of a parrot. This idiocy is wasting time and money and could threaten the current project with more valu-engineering which, in turn, will impact its worthiness for preservation a 100 years down the road. As one particular idiot might say: SAD!

At least in the case of Bata and Riverdale Hospital we have something that more or less made the loss worth it. I am not sure how value-engineering this project to the literal limit (the firm in question has stated explicitly no more reduction can be done) because of budget pressures and then accepting a 10M cost increase due to the ditch made the trade looks good.

We all saw this one coming from a mile away.

AoD

Considering all of the notable, barely half century old architecture that we've lost over the past 2 or 3 decades, with nary a peep--Aeroquay One, Inn on the Park, Bata Building, Riverdale Hospital, Bulova/Shell Tower come to mind--it makes my blood boil that civic minions are losing their collective sh*t over a friggin drain pipe simply because it has outlasted the average lifespan of a parrot. This idiocy is wasting time and money and could threaten the current project with more valu-engineering which, in turn, will impact its worthiness for preservation a 100 years down the road. As one particular idiot might say: SAD!

You need to put this into context. All those buildings are big losses. Yes this seems relatively minor but in the grand scheme of things it isn't. This is where Toronto was founded. This is ground zero. There's not much from back then so why not save the little we have. Even if this cost $20 million it would still be worth saving.

You need to put this into context. All those buildings are big losses. Yes this seems relatively minor but in the grand scheme of things it isn't. This is where Toronto was founded. This is ground zero. There's not much from back then so why not save the little we have. Even if this cost $20 million it would still be worth saving.

But we don't need a drain to remember the history of Toronto. Scrap the drain, let's get on with a project that will bring much more value to the community, and put the cost savings of not doing it towards the Toronto Museum, where we actually could take in the city's history.

The opportunity cost here is just way too significant to let it drag on any longer.

You say $20 million. I believe a donation of $25 million just went to creating a magnificent park under the Gardiner.

Perhaps you meant just $2 million?? Even still, by comparison, someone of reasonable competence could probably build on free dirt a rather magnificent home, including lots of drains, for $1,700,000.

Keep this drain. Let all who care have the opportunity to cast their gaze upon a reasonably large enough portion so that the message is clear.

But my guess is this could easily be accomplished at 1/10 the of the cost.

It's a matter of priorities. Think of where $1.7 million could improve the lives of children or folks in need in the 416.

Imagine for a moment the sunk costs of bureaucracy and consultants and paper invested on this notion to date? And with our globetrotting councillors at the vanguard, I'd wager a loonie this "ancient" 150 year old pipe is soon to surpass the $million mark before any decision is made.

It's enough to make one wish we had a businessman for mayor, someone who would bring some common sense to the game.

Oh, um, ah, yeah. I forgot. Think I'll take a nap.

You say $20 million. I believe a donation of $25 million just went to creating a magnificent park under the Gardiner.

Perhaps you meant just $2 million?? Even still, by comparison, someone of reasonable competence could probably build on free dirt a rather magnificent home, including lots of drains, for $1,700,000.

I was exaggerating. Less than $2 million. Can't see why it is a problem. The city spent more than that to speed up Wellington Street reconstruction this past summer. They had no problem spending that money.

It's enough to make one wish we had a businessman for mayor, someone who would bring some common sense to the game.

Oh, um, ah, yeah. I forgot. Think I'll take a nap.

We must never forget. Even to joke about it feels, I dunno, too soon. Especially with the idiot brother trying to squirm his way back into the corridors of power. I'd take a pencil neck, milquetoast, policy wonk swivel servant over an ignorant, belligerent, narcissistic, over entitled former hash dealer any day.

Pending Report notice for Award of Construction Contract - St. Lawrence Market North is up on the agenda for the next government management committee.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2018.GM25.11
Yes, the additional $$ needed are in the 2018 budget that is before Council today and on assumption it passes we may actually see some action. The part of the 'porcupine drain' that is being saved was removed from the site a few weeks ago so it OUGHT to be a smooth path to excavation starting.

Back