Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

Quiet Sunday
791444BA-2153-451E-AFB7-7D84A0DCF9AB.jpeg

Yesterday they started putting down what appears to be a vapour barrier on top of the crushed rock on the lowest level, and there is a lot of prefabricated rebar mesh on site, so I'm guessing they are getting ready to pour the floor of the lowest level.
Just saw the same thing and it sure looks like it.

They were still busy trowelling 20 minutes ago.

I wonder, based on absolutely no knowledge at all, if the concrete has to cure for a while before it can bear the weight of the forms for the floor above. So they poured the second lowest floor, remove the forms, and then pour the bottom floor. Meanwhile they can carry on pouring walls and columns above.
So much for my genius theory. They are putting up for forms for the next floor on top of the floor they poured on Friday.

I was wondering how many parking spots are there ? And how much are reserved for the public ? Because I can see alot of outsiders using it for the market and tourist parking !

Info on parking etc can usually be found on the City's Development Applications site and here is what it says about the North Market:

"Site plan control application for the new St .Lawrence Market North building. The proposed building is 5 storeys in height (24.5 m). The total proposed non-residential gross floor area is 9543 square metres and will include 250 underground parking spaces and 2 loading spaces. The proposed building accommodates market uses in an open concept first floor with mezzanine, which accommodates other public uses such as an art gallery and restaurant. "

As @evandyk says, it will be operated by the Toronto Parking Authority but I think that on weekdays some (all?) the parking will be reserved for use by the Court Service - who will occupy the upper floors.

Back