St. Lawrence Condos at 158 Front | 91m | 26s | Cityzen | architectsAlliance

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sad but true. I will miss seeing the green copper spire of St. James Cathedral, a throw-back to Old Toronto. I recently lost my view of Old City Hall's clock tower with its protruding gargoyles, thanks to the Yonge & Rich condo towers. My previously unobstructed south-westerly view of the inner harbour and lake is slowly disappearing and will be all but gone by the end of this decade. And to add insult to injury, the lower two-third's of the CN Tower (up to the large observation deck) will be blocked by CIBC Square North. I consider myself very lucky to have had this view and to watch the city skyline grow dramatically over the past 11 years, but with progress, also comes some disappointment.
Call Jasonzed and get an affordable drone... get your views back and other naughty stuff. Reclaim ur views at least ;-)

Philar21

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone have new pictures? Love seeing those.

Also, does everyone still believe people will be moving in by Spring 2021?

loudpacckk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone have new pictures? Love seeing those.

Also, does everyone still believe people will be moving in by Spring 2021?
Spring 2021 looks reasonable looking at the current stage of build. I would mainly expect occupancy to begin Spring 2021 then the final registration some time early-mid 2022.

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
this is progressing better than pemberton's time and space
It's at a much further stage than Time and Space, where construction moves visibly much faster. If you go back several pages, you'll see that this project also took quite some time to get back up to street level

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
It's at a much further stage than Time and Space, where construction moves visibly much faster. If you go back several pages, you'll see that this project also took quite some time to get back up to street level
It is really not sensible to compare Time & Space with St Lawrence Condos. The former is a MUCH larger site and unlike St Lawrence was only excavated to about 1+ floor of below-grade parking and they did not get to bedrock so excavation was fairly easy. T&S also had to do extensive remediation as that site is polluted and they needed to install a barrier layer between the polluted soil and the base-slab - that took lots of time. As @someMidTowner says, St L took ages to start excavation, do excavation and reach grade - now that it has, it is going up quite fast but I anticipate that T&S will speed up when it reaches grade too.

mcornett

Member Bio
Reaction score
I definitely hoped for a more black-brown brick than yet more grey. But I still think this development will end up looking nice overall.

EDIT: I walked by on Wednesday morning and the brick panels are very badly aligned (I don't know if this is a part of the process and they will be adjusted later) and many individual bricks are chipped or broken.

Last edited:

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Ugh manganese ironspot brick is sooooo last decade. I know it’s only 2020 but hoping to see some boldness with both the colour and texture selection for brick panels.
Riiiiiiiiiiight, and this has been in planning since 2011, so, thank goodness it's at least ironspot. And the renderings show full height windows other than where there's a slender operable window, so this should be handsome in the end, despite no dashes of colour..