Toronto St Lawrence Condos at 158 Front | 91.44m | 26s | Cityzen | a—A

It's nice to see a tower project where mass and texture take priority over glass, glass, glass.

Absolutely -- this is like a breath of fresh air after all the blue-green glass towers. I get a very late '50s - early '60s vibe from it, but in a good way.

Here's what we've just put up on the front page:

UrbanToronto has received early images of a new condo project being developed by Cityzen on Front Street East. The design concept, by Peter Clewes of architectsAlliance, features a pair of towers sprouting from an 8-storey podium, rising to 24 and 34 storeys, and joined by a skybridge at the 25th floor. The proposal, which will replace the Greyhound Bus Parcel Express depot, is working its way through community meetings at the beginning of the approval process.

154FrontView9_750.jpg

Cityzen/aA

154FrontView19_750.jpg

Cityzen/aA

154FrontView72_750.jpg

Cityzen/aA

154FrontView82_750.jpg

Cityzen/aA

154FrontView3_750.jpg

Cityzen/aA

154FrontView4_750.jpg

Cityzen/aA

154FrontView112_750.jpg

Cityzen/aA

After 'X The Condominium' and 'U Condos' in this city, as well as Cityzen's own 'L-Tower', we're not seeing the 'd' tower here are we? Frankly that name would rate an 'F'. We like the initial plan we see here, and we anticipate an interesting final plan as this project works its way toward the market: refinements to the design are expected in the coming months.

It strikes me as a bit Corbusian... very cool. I'd like to see brick on the podium and maybe to see the entire design softened a bit, which I think will happen no matter what since this is, after all, a very preliminary rendering.

Wow. Two thumbs up on this design. Here's hoping that it gets through City approval unscathed.

An intelligent, sophisticated design. Vaguely reminiscent of 60 Richmond. The bar has been raised again in Toronto.

Back