Toronto Spire Condos | 144.77m | 45s | Context Development | a—A

A posting by G.L. on blogto.com

----

I live in the Spire and bought my unit from plans. I moved into the building September. That's when all the problems started. One elevator has not worked for 3 months (yes, that's right 3 months!!) There are only 3 elevators servicing 45 floors, so if the other elevator is in use (or not working, which was the case for about a week) only ONE ELEVATOR is available for 45 floors!!!

The units are drafty and cold in winter (it's all glass remember). They're badly designed (the air vents blow right on you in the living rooms and bedrooms), the bathrooms didn't take into account that there should be space allocated for towel racks. The heating/air conditioner units were not working in many units and the management had to send around flyers with instructions on how to fix the problem, the air vents in the hallways are incredibly loud, there is such a strong current from the hallways that if I leave my unit door open for a moment, it slams shut (pretty dangerous fire hazard!!), the intercom seems to break down about once a week. Etc, etc, etc. The building isn't even 6 months old.

This is the last time I ever buy a condo from a plan. Next time I'm going to make sure the building isn't falling apart by waiting until it's actually built before I buy.

http://blogto.com/city/2008/02/condomania_agents_line_up_for_condos_at_college_park/

I think it's pretty standard to have these problems with all new buildings.

As great as Radio City is, for example, the design and layout decisions of some units can leave you scratching your head.

"Why would they put an outlet there?" .. "Why on earth would they put the electrical panel there?" ... and so on.

A posting by G.L. on blogto.com

----

I live in the Spire and bought my unit from plans. I moved into the building September. That's when all the problems started. One elevator has not worked for 3 months (yes, that's right 3 months!!) There are only 3 elevators servicing 45 floors, so if the other elevator is in use (or not working, which was the case for about a week) only ONE ELEVATOR is available for 45 floors!!!

The units are drafty and cold in winter (it's all glass remember). They're badly designed (the air vents blow right on you in the living rooms and bedrooms), the bathrooms didn't take into account that there should be space allocated for towel racks. The heating/air conditioner units were not working in many units and the management had to send around flyers with instructions on how to fix the problem, the air vents in the hallways are incredibly loud, there is such a strong current from the hallways that if I leave my unit door open for a moment, it slams shut (pretty dangerous fire hazard!!), the intercom seems to break down about once a week. Etc, etc, etc. The building isn't even 6 months old.

This is the last time I ever buy a condo from a plan. Next time I'm going to make sure the building isn't falling apart by waiting until it's actually built before I buy.

http://blogto.com/city/2008/02/condomania_agents_line_up_for_condos_at_college_park/

These are very similar problems that Radio City had, another Context project. Drafty windows, elevator problems, endless problems with the heat pumps and poor customer service.

These are very similar problems that Radio City had, another Context project. Drafty windows, elevator problems, endless problems with the heat pumps and poor customer service.

And now they're one of the best developments in the city.

I think the lesson is to wait until a building is registered (Spire isn't registered yet, it it?). That way the residents can establish a board who will swiftly fire the existing building management and security (invariably moronic clods who do a terrible job because they were hired to the developer and answer to no one). A lot of cityplace residents have figured this out, too.

pretty...

2396919637_513b219525_o.jpg

But the cafe at the bottom is atrocious! The way the architects (or developer?) designed the space makes zero sense! Two tiny tables in a split level environment; no wonder the poor woman running the place is gonna go out of business...! It could've been a prime location for a nice bar/restaurant on the ground floor--two minute walk to Yonge Street offices. Hugely disappointing from a practical perspective.

But aesthetically, still one of my favourite highrises in Toronto.:)

Can't tell if that was sarcasm or not, but it refers to the giant spire of St James cathedral, which the tower is standing right next to. It appeared on almost all of Spire's marketing material. All of the best views are directly facing the spire (suite with balconies on the south east corner.

spirephotor2c9fa3.jpg

It doesn't need a spire, because it *is* a "spire". A boxy "spire", but a "spire" all the same.

Here's its great-grandaddy
180px-S_tagblattturm_1930.jpg

hi all, after seriously considering the Rezen project down king east, i've purchased a unit in Spire.

just wanted to say hi :)

^^ Wow... diva, anyone? lol

The fluster people get into about the retail in the base of all these condos amuses me. It's perfectly fine, and a very cute base at that.

Back