Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

York University would laugh at the suggestion of an elevated subway through the Campus, and the preferred route alignment cuts through a number of buildings. North of Steeles you may be able to get away with an elevated structure.
You want to save money? Take out the 407 station. Useless station.

Obviously I know that, but having to go underground for York U's sake gives credence to tunnel-boring the entire route.

407 Stn is completely useless and will likely see Chester-levels of daily patronage, if that. More like Bessarion probably. But then again the TTC/York Region would want nothing more than to duplicate this travesty up Yonge where four of the 6 new stations would be Bessarions vs. turning the Bala Sub into regional electrified commuter rail (REX), so I suppose common-sense has long left the planning committee building.

I think its for the Go Train...I guess
I guess people working at NYCC can get of there and take the 84 bus to Sheppard-Yonge...Which is why finishing the Sheppard line
makes more sense. Wanna bet more people would take that go Train instead of taking buses to Finch? At the same time increases
the ridership of Sheppard and reducing Traffic on Yonge...

Can't expect politicians to think that way...

From my point of view, this line should go to Jane-Sheppard

For myself it almost appears that the subways could be better suited if they branched off from eachother... For instance at sheppard west station some trains can go north to 407 and some others head west on sheppard to weston. Or hor about a train that instead of going north on the allen turned west onto Eglinton. So less tranfers trains would share same tunnels but go to different directions. Another example would be on the yonge line some trains go north to steeles while others turn onto sheppard east line.

How long do people have to say that the 407 stop will really be useful until everyone else realizes that it actually will?

The 407 stop will integrate into the regional network. In the short term, it will allow people using the 407 to get onto the subway and, with better Go reliability, the Barrie Go line. In the long term, it will be a stop on the 407 transitway. Taking the transitway to either York U or VMC would in this case be a highly unnecessary, costly and time consuming detour.

But the Sheppard station is right next to an airport and there's gonna be height restrictions just like the 407 station. We're not likely to have high density TOD if there are height restrictions in place and they can't shut the airport down since it's Bombardier's airport.
Surely at best the Bombardier facility and airport are in interim land use. It's hard to believe that they are still functioning there now ... let alone 5 years from now when the subway open. The subway will still be there in 100 years; I'll be shocked if that airport is still there in 25.

The Danforth line is pushing 45 years old now ... and we are only just seeing hints of densification between Broadview and Woodbine (and still there are folks fighting it, because they are afraid that their slowly crumbling community will change).

The 407 site is under high-tension hydro lines so isn't exactly likely to ever host infill development. There's nothing you can really ever hope to put there except a parking lot.

Not quite.The hydro lines are a bit to the south, basically beside the CN tracks. There is a significant amount of land available to be developed beside the station on the west side of Jane. At first it will be surface parking, but in the fullness of time it will be an intermodal node with the Transitway and potentially have office and commercial uses adjacent to the station.

Last edited:
Surely at best the Bombardier facility and airport are in interim land use. It's hard to believe that they are still functioning there now ... let alone 5 years from now when the subway open. The subway will still be there in 100 years; I'll be shocked if that airport is still there in 25.

Unless, somebody is willing to pony up a few billion to move Bombardier out of Downsview, you can bet that the plant and the airport will be there for a lot longer than 25 years. Indeed, the airport and the plant were there long before the subway was (or any other subway in this city for that matter).

Last edited:
How long do people have to say that the 407 stop will really be useful until everyone else realizes that it actually will?

The 407 stop will integrate into the regional network. In the short term, it will allow people using the 407 to get onto the subway and, with better Go reliability, the Barrie Go line. In the long term, it will be a stop on the 407 transitway. Taking the transitway to either York U or VMC would in this case be a highly unnecessary, costly and time consuming detour.

The 407 stop will also have a large commuter parking lot at the end of the line....I'm really not sure why people think it will be underused. I'm sure it won't be Bloor-Yonge to start with but it should have some decent ridership from drivers and it will grow when development happens and really grow when the 407 Transitway opens. As Second in pie said, it will indisputably be a major transit hub.

Some people on these boards (not saying anyone specific) are very short-sighted in their planning window. There's no shame in getting out in front of the curve instead of playing catch-up, you know.

Unless, somebody is willing to pony up a few billion to move Bombardier out of Downsview, you can bet that the plant and the airport will be there for a lot longer than 25 years. Indeed, the airport and the plant were there long before the subway was (or any other subway in this city for that matter).
I just can't believe that Bombardier will keep propping up the Toronto operation ... and will eventually move it somewhere cheaper. My assumption is that Bombardier will have walked away from Toronto ... and no one has to pay them to leave.

My answer to "Why build all the way to Vaughan?"

Finally, I am starting to see some proper answers to all these questions you guys have about why build this or that station?

And finally, you guys have got me so riled up that I decided to join in the conversation rather than just be a spectator. Sorry it took me so long. You’ll be sorry to see this long message!

I think the biggest problem with most of you guys is that you’re not willing to sift through all the publicly available documentation on this subway extension. Now, please don’t take me as someone who has inside knowledge; I don’t. Also, understand that I will try to spell out only stuff that I recall seeing in these documents. I will use “I think†if I’m concerned that I may not recall the exact info.

Transitioning from tunnel to open space is difficult because of the long length of track required to do this without exceeding the maximum slope. Since the subway had to go through developed area at Finch and Keele, it was deemed too expensive and unworkable to have the track transition to elevated track at Downsview Park. There is little to no room to transition after Finch and Keele.

York U wanted the station to be within their Commons area, which meant that an underground station was the only choice.

That meant there was no room for transition to above-ground before Steeles West. After Steeles West, an elevated rail would conflict with overhead power lines. But what if the transition from below to above occurred after Steeles West? Well, the ground surface elevation increases too much at that point that you’d never get the rails high enough in time to cross over the 407. If I recall the TTC study on this that I saw on the Internet a couple of years ago (and I wish I could find it now!), they pointed out that to successfully cross above the 407 there would need to be an 8% slope upwards which is well outside the trains’ capabilities.

Now, as to “Why build all the way to Vaughan?†I cannot find any proof that it wasn’t a political decision, but there is more to it than just politics. TTC has stringent requirements for station design. The tracks must be level within it and for a certain distance before and after it. The tracks cannot be curved within it and for a certain long distance before and after. The end-of-the-line station must have a great length of track installed beyond it, called the tail track, which requires cut and cover construction because it includes crossover track. The tail track also must be level with no curves.

So, with that knowledge it becomes a little clearer why each station is being built as planned. To wit:

Sheppard West: Integration with new GO Train station. Its justification is probably political (see below).

Keele-Finch: has to be below ground. Since it is aligned with Keele, it could be possible to build tail track there, but the real reason to build the subway to this point is to bring it to York U.

York U: No room for cut and cover, therefore construction of tail track is impossible until you get very close to Steeles, so you might as well build another station at Steeles.

Steeles West: This probably is the best alternative end point. However, tail track construction would be difficult/impossible due to Pioneer Village, Black Creek, and electrical towers being in the way, so that is why they’re tunneling there. And then, you’re already so close to the proposed Transitway that you might as well continue on north and build a station there.

407: Yes, it’s a commuter-only station. But it’ll get more demand than you guys think. See below. At this point, using cut and cover to build a tail track would require immense disruption to the 407, and at this point, track level is much deeper than average below ground because it had to cross under the Black Creek valley, and because of the marked increase in ground elevation in that area. The cheapest area to build the tail track would be in the fields north of the 407 but then you’re already so close to Hwy 7 you might as well build another station there. Instead the area between 407 and 7 is used to allow for a shallower slope upwards.

Vaughan Metropolitan Centre: The ground is very level here and there is lots of open space to allow for cheap cut and cover construction of the tail track. Vaughan had rapid transitway plans for Highway 7 well before the subway plans were finalized so that city was interested in getting the subway there. Its location is at Millway rather than Jane because the Black Creek valley is too close to Jane Street, making cut and cover impossible there.

So, it seems to me that to properly design a subway all the way to York U, you end up with a vicious cycle of needing to build stations further and further north to satisfy all the construction requirements, until you find very level ground with lots of open space.

Probably the most obvious political argument is the interest Ontario has with integrating GO Transit with the TTC. When GO decided to buy all those double-decker busses a few years back, they admitted that they were exclusively for the 407 Express East and West routes, and they admitted that these two routes were the only profitable routes for the whole GO system. And when I drive on the 407 on the weekdays I always see lots of GO busses. In other words, the Transitway isn’t even built yet, but they already today have demand for the 407 station! Once the subway is built, then GO will (I think) drop the York U stop entirely and simply use the 407 subway station. And the parking lot is not just for the subway but also a bit for commuters on the GO 407 Express routes.

Meanwhile, York Region Transit plans to drop VIVA service to York U once the 407 subway station is finished. They have left the door open to keep VIVA going to Steeles West if that works for the better, but no further south.

I hope I’ve kept you all interested enough to get to the end of this post!

Very informative post there, thank you for all the info and yes, I was interested until the end of the post ;). I think I accept all of what you've said in your post except for one thing. Tailtracks aren't absolutely necessary. I think it was in the Sheppard LRT document, I'm not sure, but the Sheppard subway doesn't have tailtracks. This is because of the complexities when meeting the 404 highway. So, it's possible to stop a subway line at any of the stations in the Spadina extension, it doesn't matter since the Sheppard subway was stopped in the same way.

Interesting. I am completely unfamiliar with the Sheppard line design, so I'll take your word for it. The documents I had seen from TTC showed they were extremely keen on building a tail track. If they explained why, I don't recall. Time for some digging! :)

Steeles West: This probably is the best alternative end point. However, tail track construction would be difficult/impossible due to Pioneer Village, Black Creek, and electrical towers being in the way, so that is why they’re tunneling there. And then, you’re already so close to the proposed Transitway that you might as well continue on north and build a station there.

Steeles West station WILL have crossover tracks. See the last page of this report approving the station design. In fact, the TTC has been talking about short-turning every other train here.

So, it seems to me that to properly design a subway all the way to York U, you end up with a vicious cycle of needing to build stations further and further north to satisfy all the construction requirements, until you find very level ground with lots of open space.

How did they build the original Yonge line, the University line, the Bloor line and the Sheppard line then? They didn't end in flat, empty fields. I'm not aware that other countries have had that problem either.

On a similar note, does anyone know how deep-level tube lines in London cross over? Do they bore a wide tunnel and build crossovers in it?

Probably the most obvious political argument is the interest Ontario has with integrating GO Transit with the TTC. When GO decided to buy all those double-decker busses a few years back, they admitted that they were exclusively for the 407 Express East and West routes, and they admitted that these two routes were the only profitable routes for the whole GO system. And when I drive on the 407 on the weekdays I always see lots of GO busses. In other words, the Transitway isn’t even built yet, but they already today have demand for the 407 station! Once the subway is built, then GO will (I think) drop the York U stop entirely and simply use the 407 subway station. And the parking lot is not just for the subway but also a bit for commuters on the GO 407 Express routes.

That's not really a political argument, but I see what you mean. I'm starting to see that the station has good commuter potential, but that assumes that the people on the 407 want to go south. Where are all the passengers on the route headed to? Just because a station has a busy route using it doesn't mean the station will be well used.

Tailtracks aren't absolutely necessary. I think it was in the Sheppard LRT document, I'm not sure, but the Sheppard subway doesn't have tailtracks. This is because of the complexities when meeting the 404 highway. So, it's possible to stop a subway line at any of the stations in the Spadina extension, it doesn't matter since the Sheppard subway was stopped in the same way.

The Sheppard line has tail tracks, you can see them from the platforms at both termini. They're just shorter because of the short trains. However, it is true that they are not absolutely necessary. Some elevated lines in New York just end at the end of the platform.

Last edited:
On a similar note, does anyone know how deep-level tube lines in London cross over? Do they bore a wide tunnel and build crossovers in it?

I going from memory, could be wrong, but I don't think the deep-level sections have cross-over tracks, only the shallow older sections have cross overs when they used to cut and cover.

I going from memory, could be wrong, but I don't think the deep-level sections have cross-over tracks, only the shallow older sections have cross overs when they used to cut and cover.

I am sure they would, you would just dig cross tunnels using tunnel shields. It isn't rocket science.

Interesting post by Strookie - I'm sure there are multiple reasons to come north of Steeles despite the "Sorbara Line" jokes.

All you have to do is look at a map of the planned network and zoom out to see how ridiculous it would be to stop the line at Steeles with RT planned for both the 407 and Hwy. 7 corridors.

It may well be that design requirements create "a vicious cycle of needing to build stations further and further north" but we're only going, what 2.5 km north? And it's hooking up with TWO planned rapid transit projects? Not such a "vicious" cycle if you ask me. I know Toronto taxpayers loathe the idea of going north of their precious border but it really does make sense when you long at long-term development and transit plans.

Oh - and in answer to reaperexpress - I forget the exact numbers but the planners of the 407 Transitway expect the vast majority (something like 85%) of riders to use transfer south onto the subway. I recall the numbers for people coming west into the Yonge subway at Hwy. 7 (ha ha!) being very high with the numbers for people coming into the Spadina line being lower, but both stops are very much designed for the purpose of transferring people, rather than bringing in walk-up.

Last edited:

Back