Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I was at Pioneer Village station Monday night and noticed a few thing. one is that it looks like the TTC is considering the possibility of needing collectors in the TYSSE stations after all and built the new faregates accordingly:

farebox.jpg

One thing I didn't like was these blindingly bright lights shining on me coming down the escalators:
lights.jpg

One thing I found very dumb was that there are separate mezzanine levels. People wanting to transfer between TTC and YRT buses have to go down to platform level, walk the full length of it, and go back up to get between the terminals.

Also, the YRT terminal is outside, with no indoor connection to the station.

Attachments

• farebox.jpg
    farebox.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 284
  • lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 373
  • upload_2017-12-20_15-15-40.png
    upload_2017-12-20_15-15-40.png
    920.7 KB · Views: 177
I'm not sure if this is true but I heard that the art installation at Pioneer Village was purposely left in-operable by the TTC for fear of foul language and discriminatory vocabulary that could be displayed; fear of getting sued.

I tried it out, it was not working, there are a few touch screen displays in the station that are used to enter text that appear to be working, but nothing was displayed overhead.

I tried it out, it was not working, there are a few touch screen displays in the station that are used to enter text that appear to be working, but nothing was displayed overhead.

i have to say regardless of the art intention this self serve art installation was pretty poorly thought out. letting people control such signage was a really poor decision and a potential pr disaster waiting to happen. they should just set it to scroll through the time and date.

i have to say regardless of the art intention this self serve art installation was pretty poorly thought out. letting people control such signage was a really poor decision and a potential pr disaster waiting to happen. they should just set it to scroll through the time and date.

Or inspirational quotes!

They could easily just have an algorithm in place that doesn't let you use profane language, not to mention based on the on-screen simulation of what happens, it looks like words scroll by pretty quickly (definitely too quick to snap a picture). I think it's a cool idea. But yes, maybe having inspirational quotes wouldn't be so bad.

One thing I found very dumb was that there are separate mezzanine levels. People wanting to transfer between TTC and YRT buses have to go down to platform level, walk the full length of it, and go back up to get between the terminals.

Worse, this means that it's a very long, outdoor walk from the YRT terminal to York U (which also involves crossing Steeles at street level). Unless you have a Metropass or are willing to pay a TTC fare just to ride one stop, your most realistic option once YRT north/south routes stop serving York U is to transfer to either Route 3 or Viva Purple/Route 100 at Pioneer Village, which would probably involve quite a long wait, especially on weekends (only the 3 runs on weekends).

I was on a northbound train today entering the subway extension. A passenger onboard was clearly quite confused about where he was and where he was going. The train stopped at downsview park for a crew change. As the guard of our train exited, this confused passenger asked the departing guard, through an open door, to help him with directions. I overheard him say he was trying to get to Finch station. The guard asked "Finch West?", but no, he needed to go to Finch, at Yonge St. He asked "isn't this train going to finch?"

The TTC guard said "no, this train is going to Vaughan Mills mall."

You can't make this up. Fortunately the guard at least had the sense to suggest he transfer to the 36 at Finch West, but still...

I was on a northbound train today entering the subway extension. A passenger onboard was clearly quite confused about where he was and where he was going. The train stopped at downsview park for a crew change. As the guard of our train exited, this confused passenger asked the departing guard, through an open door, to help him with directions. I overheard him say he was trying to get to Finch station. The guard asked "Finch West?", but no, he needed to go to Finch, at Yonge St. He asked "isn't this train going to finch?"

The TTC guard said "no, this train is going to Vaughan Mills mall."

You can't make this up. Fortunately the guard at least had the sense to suggest he transfer to the 36 at Finch West, but still...

A classic Toronto Subway problem. At Dundas Station and need to get to Yorkdale/York U/Vaughan? "Hmm that's north of here so i'll take the northbound train". Same deal with being on University and needing to get to, say Yonge/Sheppard. Even locals have the occasional brain fart. Also there is no way to switch platforms at Dundas without exiting the fare-paid area, and while you could take a transfer and explain to the collector/service agent, the transfer itself says "Not Valid at Dundas Station"...

If he had a little more sense he would have suggested taking the 199 Express bus instead. From my experience the 39 is overcrowded and slow as hell from the excessive number of bus stops. Avoid it if you can.

Back