Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

They will be more used once GO-RER is in full swing and the 407 Transitway is built

They are for future projects.
True enough, which adds to the utility of the extension.

That being said, while the GO-RER connection is swell, I have difficulty understanding the commute pattern that would entail Barrie GO-RER riders getting off at Downsview.

The odd soccer or hockey game there, and subway access to York University and Yorkdale Mall perhaps? I think majority of persons will be heading south to Eglinton, Bloor and ultimately Union.

That being said, while the GO-RER connection is swell, I have difficulty understanding the commute pattern that would entail Barrie GO-RER riders getting off at Downsview.

Going pretty much anywhere except downtown. If you're going to Yonge & Sheppard, you can get off the train, take the subway for one stop and then the bus. If you're going to Yonge & Eglinton, you can take the subway and then the LRT.

There are plans to build a GO Train - Eglinton LRT transfer station, but that wasn't planned when the subway extension started being built.

Then maybe they should get rid of the fabric covered seats and get rid of the front & back facing seats.

No thanks. We're not cattle.

wow seriously are you that naive to assume that the above mentioned items are there because a rail fan said to? those items are there from study group opinions on the what the
general rider would want. I'm sure 95% of the riders save for kids and "rail fans" dont care either way as long as it can get them from a to b in relative comfort and speed.

btw.... this is the wrong thread, you really should vent your grievances on the TR thread.

As an aside, I really enjoy seeing Southbound trains on the Yonge Line say "Vaughan" as they enter the station.

A new normal that I don' think I will have trouble getting used to. ;)

Vaughan has been a flurry of construction for the last 20 years. The area around Wonderland has seen not only subdivisions added, but several high rises. With the subway now going to Highway 7, I w0uld expect that along Highway 7 there will be much growth, especially high rises. Right ow, it is low rises or vacant land. Give it 5-10 years and it will look much different than it does now. I also expect a large multistory parking garage to be built at VCC. Signs on the 400 directing you to it would be also expected.

I hate the terrible precedent that started with the Sheppard extension of having bare, concrete platforms walls. Even more head-scratching considering the money the TTC put into public art in other areas of the stations. Early renders for the underground stations suggest this will be the case for the Crosstown too.

Last edited:
I think we are being too harsh on this extension. I've read like 4 or 5 hit-pieces on the Spadina Extension on the Star and other sites already.

The Star and other publications have also released plenty of articles praising the extension at well. One of them even claiming that TYSSE is ushering in a golden age of transit expansion (I’m paraphrasing). Coverage, from my point of view, has been quite fair and balanced.

As I was touring the TYYSE, I found myself being intently happy, as I finally was able to witness the tens of thousands of people that this project will have a significant life-enhancing effect on. But on the other hand, I don't understand this expectation that media coverage should be more positive. A lot of things went wrong with TYSSE. We shouldn't let a self-congradualtory attitude get any the way of some somber reflection. Toronto still has a lot of lessons to learn with regard to building transit. We can fully criticize the project while celebrating that it will help tens of thousands of people around the city.

It's also the holidays not saying it's completely unrealistic, but I think mid January would be a better first-indicator.

It’s also a random guy’s unsubstantiated account on a random day. Let’s give this thing a some months to generate an official, sufficiently large enough sample size before we make any judgements.

Reactions: BMO
It’s also weird seeing Finch on a train pulling in at Finch West station since Finch station is only 6km away but the train is taking the longest pods route to get there.

This is not untypical. Most transit systems are spoke and wheel, so you'd have streets with 3, or even 4 subway lines that don't intersect.

Most people want to get downtown

0c754342d042887acc4b75feafc14f1c--underground-tube-london-underground.jpg

Living on Pulaski Road in Chicago you'd have like 5 subway stops but of course none of them would connect.

Connecting York U to the subway system was a no-brainer thirty years ago. It's absolutely essential that the subway extended that far. It's truly cause for celebration to see this finally acccomplished.

Extending further to Vaughan might not have been a burning priority, but it's not that unreasonable either. I'm hopeful that the bus transit from their northwards is well integrated.

I'm looking forward to all the pieces falling into place - 2WAD on the Aurora GO line, plus connection to the Crosstown at Eglinton, plus a GO station at Bloor. If that doesn't prove to be useful, we might have to rethink transit altogether. I do believe in "build it and they will come". Connecting all those northern suburbs with that much east-west transit will open many new pathways. It may take a while for people to capitalise on that, but they will.

The last piece that needs to be added is the Sheppard subway to Downsview. Again, while ridership numbers may not be overwhelming, pure common sense says that a seamless pathway across the top of the city must be useful to many. Again, connecting York U to north Scarborough must be compelling.

- Paul

Here's something I don't quite understand about Highway 407 Station, will buses that use the Highway 407 Transitway use the 18-bay bus terminal?

I would assume that there would be a true express bus that uses the full length of the 407 Transitway, while there will still be buses that terminate at Highway 407 Station (most of the current bus routes). So my understanding is that most buses will use the Transitway, but they will exit the Transitway and their stop will be in the terminal, while some buses will stay on the Transitway, and those who want to use the (express) bus will have to use the underground platform(s).

Is my understanding correct?

Back