Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Why can't it just say "1 - Vaughan" ?

I'm not sure why we're so concerned with destination signs for our subways. As long as the platforms are marked, there's no way you can get on the wrong train in this city as none of our lines have branches. On a train that short turned? Just get off and get on the next one.

I'm not sure why we're so concerned with destination signs for our subways. As long as the platforms are marked, there's no way you can get on the wrong train in this city as none of our lines have branches. On a train that short turned? Just get off and get on the next one.

Legalities. In various other cities you would be correct but in North America people like to have frivolous law suits. I can picture someone suing for undue harm resulting from getting on a short turned train.

While biking down Yonge on Sunday, I saw a train on the closed part of Line 1 and all the destination sign said on it was 'Vaughan'. I'm not sure what they were doing since the train was south of Davisville and facing north towards Finch.

Yesterday, on Line 1, there was a delay at York University subway station. Seriously, the extension isn't even open yet and we are already having issues.

I can't imagine what will happen after its open to the public.

Yesterday, on Line 1, there was a delay at York University subway station. Seriously, the extension isn't even open yet and we are already having issues.

They have been having issues with the ATC system losing track of trains. They seemed to have fixed the problem last night, so hopefully that will be the last of it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They have been having issues with the ATC system losing track of trains. They seemed to have fixed the problem last night, so hopefully that will be the last of it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

At Sheppard West this morning at 8:30 it took about 10-12 minutes for a train to come down from the extension area. Looks like there still may be problems.

This is literally the exact reason for running Ghost service. They expect issues to arise. This is entirely normal.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

This could turn into a Pelham 123 style thriller

Hillcrest Controller: "Sir, we've lost track of all the trains. If we don't do something quickly, they'll be an imminent disaster"

Subway Manager: "Attention all operators, whatever you do, do not stop moving the trains. If you stop moving, a train will smash into you. DO NOT STOP MOVING!"

Sounds ridiculous, but this situation happened on the London Underground a few years ago. A maintenance vehicle was hurdling down the tracks, out of control, and the trains ahead were ordered to keep driving forward, to prevent the maintenance vehicle from smashing into them:

The Old Bailey heard how a maintenance wagon broke free from an empty passenger train which was towing it.

It hurtled at up to 30mph for four miles (6km) down the Northern Line, passing through seven stations.

The two maintenance workers on board managed to jump off at Highgate station.

Passengers on the train in front were instructed by their driver to move through the carriages to the front of the tube as it passed through stations as the runaway gained on them.​

Now I have heard it all. ATC is "losing" trains. And to think that we were all concerned about a 50 year old signalling system.

Last edited:
Now I have heard it all. ATC is "losing" trains. And to think that we were all concerned about a 50 year old signalling system.

For what it's worth, TFL is in the middle of installing ATC on the Metropolitan, Circle, District and Hammersmith and City lines. Londonist has a good video on the process here:

Looks like they did a flip-flop:
SmartCentres Place Bus Terminal is open for service in 2018
So the bus terminal will open late, while the Vivastation will open on time. This is the complete opposite of what they said a few months ago. It’s unclear if they plan on having the “partial opening” of the bus terminal like they said before.

So the bus terminal will open late, while the Vivastation will open on time. This is the complete opposite of what they said a few months ago. It’s unclear if they plan on having the “partial opening” of the bus terminal like they said before.

Could they have all the buses use the Viva stop?

Yes, that's a complete reversal. I noted two things: they mentioned twice about it opening in 2018, and they did not mention exactly when in 2018. Compared to how the Viva station construction has been going these last few months, the pace of this bus terminal build is abysmal. Many times when I drive past it (nearly daily) I don't see any heavy equipment on site. I wonder if it's had a stop work order now. Hard to say for sure because whenever I have a chance to really inspect the site I always see a tiny bit of change. Perhaps it's being run by the same people who are building the Finch West station (jab).

Also, on Viva Next's blog, notice that the November 11 post says, "SmartCentres Place will begin providing full bus service in December, but the terminal will only be partially open, as final work continues into early 2018." However, the November 17 (30 days to opening) post says, "SmartCentres Place Bus Terminal will begin hosting YRT/Viva soon after [the opening]." So they knew something was wrong already two weeks ago.

Last edited:

Back