Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I didn't realize that half of the trains would turn around without actually leaving the city border. That's interesting, and makes sense!

Earth Tech Canada, which has offices in Markham, will have $12 million to design the 407 Transitway stop.

They're actually going to build the 407 stop right away? There's nothing even there! Why not just rough it in?

When the Spadina Avenue and Yonge Street lines open...

Spadina Avenue? Someone obviously didn't do their research. :)

I didn't realize that half of the trains would turn around without actually leaving the city border. That's interesting, and makes sense!

It would be much less than half during the rush hour service since most trains turn around at St. Clair West.

It seems very cost inefficient to build a full subway line and minimal service - ie York extension = Sheppard stubway.

They're actually going to build the 407 stop right away? There's nothing even there! Why not just rough it in?

The stations aren't opening for at least 6 years. Plenty of time to build stuff.
The decision was made long ago to build the whole thing at once rather than in any kind of phased process.

I don't honestly believe there will be much at Hi-way 7 even in terms of bus traffic by then ... at the very least you won't get a lot there and the other stop to the North.

But in the future, far future, probably. It's not different then a few of the stops on the Sheppard line.

Not sure if anyone has made this suggestion before but why not turn back all the trains at YorkU the entire day : - ) jk.

The 407 Station will be the western terminus of the first phase of the 407 Transitway. It'll also be a major park and ride facility, similar to what is planned at Bunker-Longbridge on the Yonge Extension. By keeping the parking at these stations, it eliminates the need at the two terminus stations, where better use of the land is therefore possible.

I don't honestly believe there will be much at Hi-way 7 even in terms of bus traffic by then ... at the very least you won't get a lot there and the other stop to the North.

But in the future, far future, probably. It's not different then a few of the stops on the Sheppard line.

Not sure if anyone has made this suggestion before but why not turn back all the trains at YorkU the entire day : - ) jk.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the other stop to the North. It sounds like you are talking about the York extension but the highway 7 (avenue 7) stop will be the northern terminus of the line.

Anyway at the moment there is virtually nothing there that will support a subway, particularly that it will be built without a bus terminal (all busses will stop at on street lay-by's). However Vaughan does have a grandiose plan to turn that area into a mini downtown. I'm a member of the church of I'll believe it when I see it though, as even some modest towers being proposed currently are being bogged down by NIMBY attitudes (same issues are being encountered at RHC as well FWIW). In order to support the subway stop I'd guess there would have to be 10 to 20 mid rise residential buildings built between Jane and Hwy 400, and all pretty close to Hwy 7 at that. I can picture riots in the streets if that were to happen.

I have always said since this line had begun to be pushed by Sobrara/York/Vaughan that the best course of action would be to build BRT or LRT from Steeles west station north along Jane. You get a greater coverage area this way.

You can't (or should I say shouldn't) do short turns at York U because York wants most if not all busses off of it's campus. There would be nothing to transfer to coming off a short turned train at York U.

Anyway at the moment there is virtually nothing there that will support a subway, particularly that it will be built without a bus terminal (all busses will stop at on street lay-by's). However Vaughan does have a grandiose plan to turn that area into a mini downtown. I'm a member of the church of I'll believe it when I see it though, as even some modest towers being proposed currently are being bogged down by NIMBY attitudes (same issues are being encountered at RHC as well FWIW).

Vaughan is about to really get into their study for that area. In the meantime, modest towers? You mean like this one with 3,500 residents and multiple 30+storey towers at Jane and 7?
http://www.yorkregion.com/article/78026

It's not really NIMBY attitudes holding things up since there are no backyards in that corridor. It's all commercial-industrial. Another condo proposal, further north, is bogged down in issues of converting employment lands to residential.

It's almost a blank slate for Vaughan to develop as they see fit. How much you can trust VAUGHAN to come up with a decent development plan is another matter...

Vaughan is about to really get into their study for that area. In the meantime, modest towers? You mean like this one with 3,500 residents and multiple 30+storey towers at Jane and 7?
http://www.yorkregion.com/article/78026

It's not really NIMBY attitudes holding things up since there are no backyards in that corridor. It's all commercial-industrial. Another condo proposal, further north, is bogged down in issues of converting employment lands to residential.

It's almost a blank slate for Vaughan to develop as they see fit. How much you can trust VAUGHAN to come up with a decent development plan is another matter...

The older Vaughan Corporate Centre plan is going to be updated and it will have a lot of density added. For those that think this is going to be a subway to nowhere, think again. Sure there is a lot of undeveloped land right now, but don't think that nothing is going to happen any time soon. Vaughan is nearly all out of land for low-density subdivisions (at the moment) so there is no place to go but up. The "7 City Centre" development for Jane/Hwy 7 is just the tip of the iceberg. There is so much work going on on many properties within the area around the subway terminus. Many of the older industrial sites are most likely going to be gone and redeveloped. It wouldn't be far-fetched to assume some big-box stores get demolished in lieu of some higher-density mixed use stuff.

When will the change occur? who knows. There is a lot of work that needs to be done and I'm (starting) to believe that it is possible, but I have serious concerns. It is important that a framework is developed that connects everything around the VCC station together. Most importantly is to humanize Hwy 7, which will be the hardest part (though change is happening and once the bridge over Hwy 400 just north of 7 is complete it will take a whole bunch of traffic off of 7 and hopefully provide an impetus to begin 'Avenuizing' 7).

It is important that a framework is developed that connects everything around the VCC station together. Most importantly is to humanize Hwy 7, which will be the hardest part

Hopefully we're not getting into a different topic but there is a start to this plan, including a street grid layout....I'm not sure about Highway 7 being the main pedestrian street but....we'll see.

All the info, to date, is here:

http://www.york.ca/Regional+Government/Agendas+Minutes+and+Reports/_2008/SSTOD+rpt+2.htm

The street map is on P7 of the PDF presentation there.
As you said - whatever it is, it WON'T be a subway to nowhere.

So a ring road will be built to move traffic off of 7? Why not leave 7 as is and urbanize the large lots north and south of 7? Two nodes rather than one that needs to resort to a ring road.

If Vaughan Corporate Centre ends up anything like its possible inspiration, Reston Town Center, it'll hardly be a subway to nowhere. Keep in mind that such a stupid moniker refers only to the 2km or so beyond York University (which, being one of the largest campi on the continent, is far from nowhere), and will benefit from thousands of parking spaces and several feeder bus routes...Vaughnites may not use transit much right now but they will use it more when the subway's extended, and don't forget that Wood-a-bridge's demographics will eventually change. Also, extending the subway north of Steeles was the *only* option...it was all or nothing. It's too bad that Vaughan Mills and Wonderland weren't also located within walking distance of Jane & #7.

Back