Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Marketing value is probably very close to zero......would there be many (any?) people riding a YRT bus to that location that would not be aware of SmartCentres presence in the area? Fortunately, a 1/2 million marketing expense and a 1/2 million charitable donation probably have a similar impact on Smart Centres books. ;)

Bingo. It is a bus terminal in a nowhere that already has said Centre's name. Having said that, I still don't consider it a positive trend.

AoD

Bingo. It is a bus terminal in a nowhere that already has said Centre's name. Having said that, I still don't consider it a positive trend.

AoD
It may not be a positive trend.....I just take exception to the notion that, somehow, ML/YRT got fleeced on the amount because it could have sold for sooooo much more! ;)

It may not be a positive trend.....I just take exception to the notion that, somehow, ML/YRT got fleeced on the amount because it could have sold for sooooo much more! ;)

It's more like I am surprised ST actually bothered. And it may come with risks - esp. if the terminal becomes notorious for say, crime/delinquency. Guess what will get reported?

AoD

It's more like I am surprised ST actually bothered. And it may come with risks - esp. if the terminal becomes notorious for say, crime/delinquency. Guess what will get reported?

AoD
Yep...every time a business attaches it's name to something that they don't control/operate they run that risk. We, the public, generally only see the marketing opportunity (and even then we way over inflate that value) and never see the risk.

Yep...every time a business attaches it's name to something that they don't control/operate they run that risk. We, the public, generally only see the marketing opportunity (and even then we way over inflate that value) and never see the risk.

Indeed. Case in point is how the MT terminal at Square One become a little notorious for crimes (some violent) - it couldn't have done the mall good PR (and in this case, the mall gets swiped even though it didn't have a naming rights arrangement - it always gets referred to as "bus terminal at Square One").

Though it being Vaughan, that's unlikely to happen - delinquency requires people.

AoD

Indeed. Case in point is how the MT terminal at Square One become a little notorious for crimes (some violent) - it couldn't have done the mall good PR (and in this case, the mall gets swiped even though it didn't have a naming rights arrangement - it always gets referred to as "bus terminal at Square One"). Though it being Vaughan, that's unlikely to happen - delinquency requires people.

AoD
might end up being a mob body dumping place ;)

on closer reading of the article guess how much Smartreit "contributed..."? $500000!!! thats chump change for naming rights......
Has Metrolinx/TTC seriously gone to those lengths to find an extra 0.5 mil? The terminal will now be called SmartCentres Place Bus Terminal. (at least its not as smartcenteres terminal vaughan metropolitan center)....

Um, everyone knows they own(ed) the actual land, right?
(i.e. they wanted it to be where it is, so they avoided expropriation by giving up that land and paying for the tunnel to the subway.)

http://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/1436678-bus-terminal-at-vaughan-s-new-subway-station-branded/

Last edited:
Our worst fears have been realized:
24570-85379.jpg
Soon enough, CIBC and Linux, along with a certain publisher of paperback books, would want to advertise within the SmartCentres Terminal as well. At least the Pittsburgh NHL team wouldn't be advertising there.

I don't get understand why Smart Centres would pay for naming rights for the terminal when they have nothing really to advertise. Who cares who manages power centres?

I don't get understand why Smart Centres would pay for naming rights for the terminal when they have nothing really to advertise. Who cares who manages power centres?

From the article that TJ O'Pootertoot posted above,
Aside from the gas station at the corner of Jane St. and Hwy. 7, the company owns 100 acres of Vaughan’s future downtown, west to Hwy. 400 up to Portage Parkway, including what is now the site of a Wal-Mart and a Future Shop.

And that was from 2012, and that's only in Vaughan. Smart Centres is a substantial landowner and developer in this country. They probably want more brand recognition than just "those guys who helped bring Wal-Mart to Canada", but yeah, it doesn't hurt to own a substantial chunk of what will be Vaughan's "new" "urban" "downtown".

I hate to keep pointing this out - largely because I agree the name is stupid and that there are penguins on the terminal is unfortunate - but they did not purchase the naming rights. They own the land upon which the terminal is located. It's totally different situation than if, say, TTC announced tomorrow that the terminal at Finch Station will from now on be called The Finch Budweiser Bus Terminal.

Without access to the actual legal documents and a sense of what it would have cost to expropriate it's hard to say whether it was a "good deal" or not but, one presumes, there were financial and/or legal reasons York Region made the deal.

I definitely don't believe in selling naming rights to stations but I could see the same thing happening in some select other areas where these issues might arise. Maybe First Gulf will want to make a deal when the time comes to build their SmartTrack station, for example.

In the meantime, there's no indication York Region is doing this elsewhere; it seems to be a one-off, unique situation. Or at least until the Metrus Terminal gets built at Yonge and 7 :)

And, hey, Penguins aside, looks like a nice enough building.

Back