Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

And I think it will remain that way until (if!!) the public/users of the system ever get to the point where they are simply using the numbers and if we ever get there the debate over what is better is moot. Having both makes sense.....and, as you point out, that is what we have.
We are about 60 years into the experiment of having both a route number and name for the bus routes. Maybe by 2100 or 2150 then ...

You know what's even better? Line 1. The thing only runs under university for maybe 10 blocks.

…but the new line will serve all of the universities in town; UT, Ryerson, and soon York. That's the reasoning behind Yonge-University (and the fact it runs under that rather important street)!

…but the new line will serve all of the universities in town; UT, Ryerson, and soon York. That's the reasoning behind Yonge-University (and the fact it runs under that rather important street)!

I don't know if that's the reasoning. I'd think the reasoning is more along the lines of "Yonge-University-Spadina" is a ridiculously long name, let's chop off the last bit."

I'd like to point out that OCAD is also by St. Patrick station.

Wikipedia tells me that something called "University of Guelph-Humber" exists in Etobicoke (I'm not being sarcastic, I didn't know that was there), so Line 1 wouldn't be serving all the universities in town.

I'd like to point out that OCAD is also by St. Patrick station.
Which I'm surprised to see is now called Ontario College of Art and Design University.

So if they start running a high school as well, would it be called Ontario College of Art and Design University High School? :)

Seems to me, they need a new name!

What? No they aren't. They specifically changed a bunch of station names from things like Steeles West to things like Pioneer Village.
Against the recommendation of staff.

Which I'm surprised to see is now called Ontario College of Art and Design University.

So if they start running a high school as well, would it be called Ontario College of Art and Design University High School? :)

University College at the University of Toronto doesn't seemed bothered by similar confusion, nor does the University of Toronto School (which of course is a high school).

University College at the University of Toronto doesn't seemed bothered by similar confusion, nor does the University of Toronto School (which of course is a high school).
Those are secondary (as in not the primary) institutions. And there's a long tradition of having colleges at University going back the Middle Ages.

But this is like having renamed Ryerson Polytechnic as Ryerson Polytechnic University - an unfortunate name that was quickly fixed.

Last edited:

Against the recommendation of staff.

I wonder if they'll use that as an excuse to one day sell their naming rights. Weston University, anyone? How about Thomson University? Or they could go the route of Emily Carr University and name themselves in honor of a local artist (which ironically might still result in Thomson University).

I wonder if they'll use that as an excuse to one day sell their naming rights. Weston University, anyone? How about Thomson University? Or they could go the route of Emily Carr University and name themselves in honor of a local artist (which ironically might still result in Thomson University).
Ah, the Wilfred Laurier University approach. Waterloo Lutheran University felt they needed a new name once they became a secular institution ... but didn't want to change the WLU abbrevation! Had they gone for someone with any links to the region, it would have been called William Lyon Mackenzie King University!

What? No they aren't. They specifically changed a bunch of station names from things like Steeles West to things like Pioneer Village.

Yes they are: http://torontoist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ttc-signs-4-map-detail-border.jpg

See Kipling station and Kipling station, Islington station and Islington station, keele station and keele station, Dufferin Station and Dufferin station, Bathurst station and Bathurst station, Leslie station and Leslie station, Don mills station and don mills station, Victoria Park and Victoria Park stations, pharmacy and pharmacy stations.

Yes they are: http://torontoist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ttc-signs-4-map-detail-border.jpg

See Kipling station and Kipling station, Islington station and Islington station, keele station and keele station, Dufferin Station and Dufferin station, Bathurst station and Bathurst station, Leslie station and Leslie station, Don mills station and don mills station, Victoria Park and Victoria Park stations, pharmacy and pharmacy stations.

That's a concept map intended to illustrate how the lines 1-4 system could be expanded. It doesn't even have the right number of stations on it (look at Finch and Sheppard), and has a completely fictional station on Eglinton in the form of "Weston-Black Creek".

The TTC has never allowed duplicate station names before in their history. Why would they start now? And in any event, Metrolinx will be naming the new LRT stations.

We are well off-topic.

Last edited:

that's sure not the reasoning for the university line. can't believe people who believe this

Back