Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I still think we should have a vote here on UT on the different corridors and that way, as a forum, we can select the best mode of transit (i.e. subway vs. LRT vs. BRT. vs do-nothing). Then make a proposal to Metrolinx :)

Good idea. Here's Transit City:

report_map1_800px.jpg

Here is what I would do for each line:

Sheppard East finish the subway to STC, extend west to Downsview; BRT east of Agincourt (Kennedy road).

Scarborough - Malvern Scrap; a Sheppard East BRT will suffice. The beefed-up S-bahn service on the Lakeshore will serve communities along Kingston Road.

Waterfront West Scrap. Lakeshore S-bahn serves the area better and faster. re-introduce 507 service between Humber (a new S-bahn stn) and Long Branch.

Jane BRT from Mount Dennis (short jog along Weston road) to York U. Connect with new DRL. Forget everything south of Eglinton.

Don Mills keep. reroute down Pape to Gerrard Square to connect with new DRL

Eglinton subway from Mount Dennis to Kennedy. Elevate section east of Don Mills. BRT to the west.

Etobicoke - Finch West BRT truncated to York U (via Sentinel) rather than to Yonge. No, wait... BRT to Downsview so that someone riding from Humber College to Scarborough only has to make one transfer.

----
Two S-bahn-style regional rail lines:

DRL From the airport to Kennedy subway station along the Weston - Lakeshore - Markham/Stouffville Railway lines. Eventually expand to Markham. Overhead electrification, EMUs, 10 minute service, etc.

Lakeshore The Lakeshore line, electrified with additional stations: Humber, Roncessvalles, Spadina, Cherry, Queen East, Gerrard Square, Coxwell/Little India, Birch Cliff, etc. Same equipment and frequency deal as above.

Notice how you can travel from Mount Dennis to Kennedy subway station either by taking the DRL through downtown or the subway below Eglinton? In the long run, I hope to make every second Eglinton subway train loop via the DRL to make an effective "circle line". This would mean that the subway equipment on Eglinton would have to be the same as that on the DRL.

Isn't the Waterfront West line drawing a bit bunk? I mean, what are they doing west of Roncesvalles apart from Park Lawn loop? Nothing I can think of. Someone help me out here.

Isn't the Waterfront West line drawing a bit bunk? I mean, what are they doing west of Roncesvalles apart from Park Lawn loop? Nothing I can think of. Someone help me out here.

I know they've talked about putting the Lakeshore section in a Spadina-style ROW in the past. I assume this means that they're actually planning to do it now.

Here is what I would do for each line:

Eglinton subway from Mount Dennis to Don Mills. BRT on either side of that.

Notice how you can travel from Mount Dennis to Kennedy subway station either by taking the DRL through downtown or the subway below Eglinton? In the long run, I hope to make every second Eglinton subway train loop via the DRL to make an effective "circle line". This would mean that the subway equipment on Eglinton would have to be the same as that on the DRL.

If you're going to scrap Scarborough-Malvern why not just build the Eglinton Line from Pearson to a point further east than Kennedy? Good candidates are Markham Rd, Guildwood GO Stn, Morningside/West Hill community or UTSC. With the last option you're far enough north to be within mins of Malvern via 116/rerouted 133 and far enough east for interegional service via the 401 (just north of the campus) or Hwy 2.

I like the circle line option too though as for one service would never have to end, just one continuous looping of trains. DRL can work if only we stop thinking like our grandfather's 1985-Network 2011 connotation of it and instead think outside the box.

Sorry, Dentrobate, before I read your reply I noticed a glaring error in my post (I mentioned that the Eglinton subway should terminate at Don Mills, not at Kennedy as I intended).

I would not extend the subway past Kennedy to the east. I think that the area east of Kennedy would be well served by a Lakeshore S-bahn line. As for serving the UTSC/Centennial College crowd, I think that a Rocket bus with priority signaling from STC and to Guildwood would probably do the trick.

I have a question: are there plans for the Finch West LRT to interface with the Spadina Subway, similar to how the St. Clair car interfaces at St. Clair W Station? If there aren't, this would be an enormous oversight.

So in current (year of expenditure) dollars, rather than 2006 dollars, it's $306 million per kilometre rather than $243 million. I guess that impacts all the back of the arse calculations the anti-Transit City folks have been doing.

^ Not really. Those folks have bothered to differentiate between pork barrel subway projects and theoretical future subway projects built with simple economies in mind, such as not tunnelling through empty land and not building stations at cemeteries next to highways.

I have a question: are there plans for the Finch West LRT to interface with the Spadina Subway, similar to how the St. Clair car interfaces at St. Clair W Station? If there aren't, this would be an enormous oversight.

When the plans for the Finch W station was done, LRT was not in the picture. The terminal is north-east of the intersection.

With LRT on the road now, the station will have to be looked at again, but it will not be a St Clair W design at this time due to cost. Unless the City willing to pickup this extra cost, it will have to remain a surface one since the Fed and the Prov are providing a fix amount of money and are not prepared to pickup cost over runs.

The Feds wanted a P3 doing this project as noted in the report.

When you get right down to it, you don't need for a terminal. You only need on street stops like there is today, but upgrade with stairs at the 4 corners. This would save 10's of millions.

can anybody say red tape? how about a few more EA's just for good measure? i also know of a recently arrived family of canada geese that will need relocating. jeez, no wonder it costs 2+ billion for a miserable 8.6km. just get the damn thing done already

I have a suggestion to reduce the costs, give each new landed immigrant at Pearson a shovel and a bus ride to the hole, this way they can contribute right away.

If we made like the Egyptians and their pyramids we could get this thing built in record time.

So it's cost of labour that preventing so many of these subway proposals from coming to fruition? And to think once upon a time a transcontinental ralway was built for next to nothing by toda's standards.

Back