Niagara Falls South Niagara Hospital | ?m | 10s | Infrastructure ON | Parkin Architects

wopchop

Building Toronto
Member Bio
Reaction score

"EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare (EDIH) has been selected as the preferred proponent to design, build, finance and maintain the new South Niagara Hospital project.

Infrastructure Ontario and Niagara Health selected EDIH after extensive evaluations following an open, fair and competitive request for proposals process that began in October 2021. The EDIH team includes:

Applicant Leads: EllisDon Capital Inc. & Plenary Americas LP
Design Team: Parkin Architects Ltd. & Adamson Associates Architects
Construction Team: EllisDon Corporation
Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital Inc.
Infrastructure Ontario and Niagara Health will now work to finalize contract details with EDIH. The project is expected to reach financial close in early 2023, which will mean that relevant contracts have been signed and a financing rate has been set. The contract cost will be announced publicly following financial close and construction is scheduled to begin shortly thereafter."

Site-Outlined-View-of-South-Niagara-Hospital.png

Full Greenfield site on the south side of the Welland river, just off the QEW.

All that surface parking! And in a very transit-inaccessible spot.

I wrote about this a few years ago:

I really wish they had sited the building against at least one of the major roads.

As @ShonTron points out above, the overall location is problematic, to say the least; but they could still do better by integrating the site to the adjacent roads, ideally choosing one which has or will have public transit and integrating that into the design.
I live in this area and both hospitals the one on 4th Ave in St Catherines and this one on Montrose Rd in the Niagara Falls area parcels of land. Where donated for free in order to put the hospitals there from what I heard. A good way to save tax payers money I guess. But on the up side of things the north side of Lyons Creek Road all the way from Chippewa and Biggar Rd too is subject to be developed in near future or so. And also the the 4th Ave corridor that is developing right now just as well! What they need to do next is to put another new hospital near The Outlet Collection Mall in the Niagara on the green area. To serve St Catharines, Niagara on the Lake and Niagara Falls other areas later in the future!

I live in this area and both hospitals the one on 4th Ave in St Catherines and this one on Montrose Rd in the Niagara Falls area parcels of land. Where donated for free in order to put the hospitals there from what I heard. A good way to save tax payers money I guess. But on the up side of things the north side of Lyons Creek Road all the way from Chippewa and Biggar Rd too is subject to be developed in near future or so. And also the the 4th Ave corridor that is developing right now just as well! What they need to do next is to put another new hospital near The Outlet Collection Mall in the Niagara on the green area. To serve St Catharines, Niagara on the Lake and Niagara Falls other areas later in the future!

Downtown NF has so many parking lots, some quite sizable. I really wouldn't mind seeing some development that intensified those areas, including a hospital.

St. Kitts is unlikely to see another hospital within its current borders, but if they were going to put it outside the core, I would have voted either for Brock (on campus) or the nearby mall (close to the University and on a major transit corridor). That would have been compatible with a future medical school as well.

Last edited:
Downtown NF has so many parking lots, some quite sizable. I really wouldn't mind seeing some development that intensified those areas, including a hospital.

St. Kitts is unlikely to see another hospital within its current borders, but if they were going to put it outside the core, I would have voted either for Brock (on campus) or the nearby mall (close to the University and on a major transit corridor). That would have been compatible with future medical school as well.
The problem with Niagara Fall's hospital location right now is that there's a railroad that splits the city in half. Making it hard for emergency vehicles to cross from one side to the other when a long train passes by lol! And that's why they have to use the hyway to get around the city instead. There's a vacant parcel of land on Dorchester Rd between the 420 and the QEW. Is where they should have built the new hospital instead. Now that there're gona use the hyway anyway where the new location is lol. As for the Brock campus area It's kind of close to the 4th Ave hospital. And they tor down the other two hospitals they had for this one. Since all hospitals are close to the QEW. It would be appropriate to build the new hospital some where near the Niagara College area vacant land. In the Niagara on the Green area of the Niagara on the Lake vicinity near the QEW. That could serve north end of Niagara Falls, Niagara on the Lake and the east side of St Catharines and Thorold vicinities respectively!

Besides the donated land, the other factor against a more urban location in Niagara Falls is this hospital is supposed to replace not just the existing Niagara Falls Hospital, but also emergency and inpatient services in Welland and all services currently being provided in Fort Erie and Port Colborne.

The site is almost equally inaccessible to Niagara Falls and Welland.

Besides the donated land, the other factor against a more urban location in Niagara Falls is this hospital is supposed to replace not just the existing Niagara Falls Hospital, but also emergency and inpatient services in Welland and all services currently being provided in Fort Erie and Port Colborne.

The site is almost equally inaccessible to Niagara Falls and Welland.
Yes I know that it's the Niagara municipalities have their own hospitals. That are going to be dismantled to create bigger hospitals in strategic areas. If funny we had one in each municipality. Now the Niagara region population is growing and we have to share one big hospital for two or more cities. The driving time would be critical if there was an emergency to get there lol!

For those curious but don't want to look it up:
  • Cortelucci Vaughan Hospital contract value - $1.3B for a 342-bed hospital in 2016 (~$3.80M/bed)
  • Niagara South Hospital contract value - $3.6B for a 470-bed hospital in 2023 (~$7.66M/bed)
Yup but Cortelucci is designed for 550 beds, Level 9 and 10 are shelled. They are both around 1.2M square feet.
It's interesting that a $3.5+B contract was progressed with two bids - one being a Spanish company that has practically no experience in Canada.

Yup but Cortelucci is designed for 550 beds, Level 9 and 10 are shelled. They are both around 1.2M square feet.
It's interesting that a $3.5+B contract was progressed with two bids - one being a Spanish company that has practically no experience in Canada.

@alexb

I believe your area metric for Levels 9 and 10 - both around 1.2M square feet may be incorrect. If you mean 1.2 Million square feet, the two floors would in aggregate amount to more than the entire area of all the floors in the First Canadian Place building.

1.2 Thousand square feet, that would be a trivial area, the size of one larger condominium unit.

If the intent was 1.2 Thousand square meters (which I suspect), that would amount to approximately 13,000 square feet per floor, which would not be unreasonable for the Cortelucci Hospital building.

@alexb

I believe your area metric for Levels 9 and 10 - both around 1.2M square feet may be incorrect. If you mean 1.2 Million square feet, the two floors would in aggregate amount to more than the entire area of all the floors in the First Canadian Place building.

1.2 Thousand square feet, that would be a trivial area, the size of one larger condominium unit.

If the intent was 1.2 Thousand square meters (which I suspect), that would amount to approximately 13,000 square feet per floor, which would not be unreasonable for the Cortelucci Hospital building.
No I just meant both hospitals are 1.2 million sf which is another way you can see the cost increase.

Back