Markham Shoppes on Steeles Redevelopment | 198.35m | 59s | Minett Capital | Arcadis

One suspects that this will be revisited at some point in any case. A main access could ultimately be placed on Don Mills instead, if that is Toronto's best leverage.

Given that it's been 6 years already, it wouldn't surprise me if the developer made another attempt in another 5 - 10 years, or whenever councillor Shiner retires, whichever comes first.

When this does get revisited, I'd expect the height & density sought to be even greater.

…so years later I'm looking at some threads which have just been left hanging, and it turns out that—

don't read the next line, unless you go back and read the previous post

—Toronto Council shut the redevelopment down by essentially telling the Town of Markham and the Region of York that they'd close the main access from the site to Steeles Avenue if the redevelopment went ahead.

Wow.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2011.MM7.11

Can't the developer sue Toronto for damages?

I think this will be back on the books at some point. In regards to suing, the developer could probably have tried it, but as they didn't sue, maybe they didn't feel they had a reasonable chance of winning.

Toronto has some rights regarding the negotiations for anything within 45 metres on the north side of Steeles (as Toronto owns the whole road), and anything developed on the north side of it will have an impact on the road, and affect those living on the south side, more with traffic than anything else. Essentially, Toronto objected to the size of the proposal. Markham had a target number of suites to bring the development under (maybe Toronto would have been happy with that) and then settled with the developer for 25% more.

So, Toronto was basically trying to force a settlement that it could live with too… but it looks like the developer opted to simply put it all on hold.

wow .... just unbelievable Toronto beauracacy at its best ... after this many years of background study and working group sessions, Toronto decides to speak up now??

Nearly six years later, and no action, suggests to me that whatever the recourses the developer had, they weren't interested in taking them. Toronto was trying to get them to talk to Toronto if they wanted to redevelop, and evidently they weren't interested in pursuing it far enough to get a resolution.

Just stumbled across this thread. Wow. Just, wow...
That being said, with the recent cut to the size of Toronto City Council, looks like Councillor Shiner is out of the seat:
https://www.toronto.com/news-story/...wdale-coun-david-shiner-calls-it-quits-maybe/
With Sears going bust, giving the property owners a huge scare of losing their anchor tenant, before luckily getting another outlet to come in, you know they are thinking of revisiting their proposal now.

Looks like this project is coming out of dormancy. Committee of Adjustment hearing is scheduled for March 4th:

1582731001392.png

link

1582731056258.png

link

Staff report from March 4 meeting:

Proposal
Severed Lot
The applicant (Bayview Summit) is proposing to sever and convey a parcel of land with
an approximate area of 21,202.1 m2 and a lot frontage of 153.8 m to Lifetime
Developments (see Attachment 1, Severance Plan). The development (see Phase 1
Concept Plan, Severed Lot, Attachment 2) for the severed lands proposes:
• A total of 1 , 159 residential apartment units;
• Two residential buildings including: one building with 12 storey, 15 storey , and 24 storey components;
and a second building with a podium ranging in height from 1-9 storeys, and two residential tower components, each with a height of 24 storeys;
• 1,330 parking spaces located within 3 levels of underground parking;
• A centrally located, privately owned, and publicly accessible park feature;
The severed parcel represents Phase 1 of a proposal to redevelop the Shoppes on
Steeles and 404 property.

Retained Lot
The applicant is proposing to retain a parcel of land with an approximate area of 50,627.5 m2
and lot frontage of 251.5 m (Parts 1-18) where the current shopping centre is located.
A future redevelopment proposal (see Phase 2 Concept Plan, Retained Lot, Attachment
3) for the retained lot proposes:
• 76 residential dwelling units
• 28, 119 m2 of non-residential space (14,306 m2 of new non-residential space and 13,813 m2 of existing non-residential space)
• 1,230 parking spaces within 3 levels of underground parking, on the roof of the existing shopping mall, and surface parking

The retained parcel represents Phase 2 of the subject lands. A future Site Plan application
will be required to be submitted to the City.

Phase 1:

1584059012934.png

From Markham councillor Keith Irish's email newsletter:

View attachment 328762

They want to keep the dumpster fire that can barely hold any chain retail and lacks any anchor outside of Food Basics?

I can't say I liked the plan as it was............but I'm surprised....

Recently, Kin also announced its partnership with Streamliner Properties, Centurion Asset Management Inc., and Kerbel Group Inc. in a master-planned community at 2900 Steeles Ave. E.

The Shops on Steeles is centrally located along a primary arterial corridor representing the border between Toronto and Markham.

It has close proximity to Hwy. 404 and other regional expressways and transit nodes, providing regional connectivity to downtown Toronto, Markham and surrounding nodes.

“It has existing zoning for more than one million square feet and quite a bit of income on the property," Iftah said.

"We haven’t submitted anything yet to the city, so (I) can’t really talk about more specifics, but the plan overall is to increase the density on the site from the (zoning) basis that we have right now to what we believe a higher and better use, or more appropriate use, for the property from a density standpoint."

Back