Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

The water is flowing today at Sherbourne Common - looking good!

That's funny, I was there yesterday around 7pm and I did not see any water flowing.

Why are they using tiny stones as a ground covering? It's not nice to walk on and the stones get kicked all over the place. I think that could get really messy, if this park gets busy. I think it was a bad choice.

Judging by the webcam, it doesn't look like the water is currently on.

I was down there on the weekend, and I was disappointed to see that the water channel in SC South wasn't running -- I'm presuming that they're waiting until the water is coming in from SC North?

Judging by the webcam, it doesn't look like the water is currently on.

I was down there on the weekend, and I was disappointed to see that the water channel in SC South wasn't running -- I'm presuming that they're waiting until the water is coming in from SC North?

Yes, it's off again today. One of the guys told me they are fine-tuning things and that it will be intermittent for a bit longer but that they hope to get it all up and running 'in a week or so".

Yes, it's off again today. One of the guys told me they are fine-tuning things and that it will be intermittent for a bit longer but that they hope to get it all up and running 'in a week or so".
Did they give you any idea when the park itself would be finally open?

Was at Sherbourne Common today. Both SC and Sugar Beach (and the patio restaurant) were fairly busy - Sugar Beach uncomfortably so. The grass on SC is brown and needs watering, and there is still no snack bar in the Teeple pod. Otherwise, both are fun, and it's a great place to look at the skyline.

There's restaurant there? Has anyone been there yet? Hope to see more patio restaurants along here in the future.

I was at Against the Grain on Sunday for lunch. The patio is enormous, and provides a very nice view of the lake. My food (a portabello mushroom grilled cheese sandwich) was fine, although I'm vegetarian and the menu isn't really set up for that, so my experience may not be representative. I did have their "signature cocktail", essentially a Canadian whiskey sour with ginger and thyme, which was lovely. The local construction, and relatively barren surrounding area, makes it a bit odd for a nice night spot, but I bet it will be a very romantic and sophisticated place to take a date for drinks and a meal once the area fills in (or at least once George Brown is built).

Last edited:
Did they give you any idea when the park itself would be finally open?

I think they meant the whole park would be up and running in a week or so - I guess we will see. As fara s I can tell they only have to fix te small section at Lower Sherbourne/Lake Shore Blvd (where they are busily putting in traffic lights) and one of the play areas needs its rubber coating.

This is in the June WT Newsletter:

Construction of Sherbourne Common north is nearly complete and the park should be open to the public in July.

Construction crews recently finished installing the park’s playground equipment and the rubber surfacing around the equipment. They are now placing river stones in the water channel and have recently installed handrails for the walkway over the channel.

Sherbourne Common’s water channel, which runs the length of the park, will function as a unique urban river. Stormwater that has been treated in park’s UV facility will be released from three dramatic art sculptures that tower over the river on the section of the park north of Queens Quay.

The clean water will cascade down a mesh veil to the river and at night motion sensors along paths and walkways will trigger lights to illuminate the water as it falls. Water in the urban river will run under Queens Quay and through Sherbourne Common south before it is released into Lake Ontario.

An official opening event for the park is planned for July. Details will be circulated as soon as they are finalized.

Last edited:
Toronto Star article:

Sand, Sun — and Smokestacks?

e126ab5d47ce892b6c542a7dfbf1.jpeg

Patty Winsa Urban Affairs
Published On Sun Jul 10 2011

Sunbathers at Sugar Beach could soon have a power plant in their sights.

A Toronto-based power company is proposing to build a gas-fired cogeneration plant at Redpath Sugar on its 4.25-hectare industrial site in the heart of the city’s newly revitalized waterfront.

The 45-megawatt facility would generate enough power to supply 36,000 homes with electricity when operating at full capacity, which amounts to about 5 per cent of Toronto Hydro’s 700,000 customers.

“This is truly a neighbourhood-sized facility,†said Scott Stevens of Northland Power Inc. He says the emissions will be a fraction of those produced by large electricity generators such as the 550-megawatt Portlands Energy Centre.

The $100-million proposed facility — a two-storey rectangular building with an emissions stack — would replace an unused warehouse at the Redpath refinery, which is on the water at the foot of Jarvis St.

Northland would sell the electricity to the grid and Redpath would purchase steam generated by the heat — the by-product of electricity generation — to process its sugar.

“It is a classic application for cogeneration,†says Stevens. “It’s a big steam consumer in an area where you need power.†Redpath uses about 60,000 kilograms of steam an hour...

....Northland would connect to the grid with an underground cable that runs below Queens Quay and up Sherbourne St. to the Esplanade substation.

The power company says a detailed design for the powerhouse will be determined at a later stage. The company is holding a public open house at the Novotel Toronto Centre on July 20 from noon to 8 p.m.

Northland will submit a formal bid to OPA in September and says the company should know by mid-October if the proposal has been approved.

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1022769--sand-sun-and-smokestacks

It looks like the fence surrounding Sherbourne Common North is down (at least judging from the webcam). The park seems like it is unofficially open.

It looks like the fence surrounding Sherbourne Common North is down (at least judging from the webcam). The park seems like it is unofficially open.

Yes, I was just there and it is OPEN - except for the (small) section at NW corner at Lakeshore where they are still doing sidewalk work. Someone (who looked like a UTer, :->) was taking photos so we may see them (and me?) soon.

The water channel is also (finally) filled, but it doesn't appear the water features are actually running.

The water channel is also (finally) filled, but it doesn't appear the water features are actually running.

They were all on at about 10.15 this morning. There were several 'supervisors' hanging around so I guess they may be turning them on and off and adjusting things.

Back