Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

People are running out of ammo when all they can think of is to make comments about Ford's appearance and weight. I said it before. Criticize Ford on his policies and decisions. But once you start with name calling and making fun of someone's appearance, you've lost credibility. This is what children do in school, remember?

And how many average canadians know who Atwood is? Be honest here. A large number of people haven't a clue. Not just Doug.

So did Mayor McCheese make it down after all? Sorry tkip.

Who cares, we've taken a perfectly interesting thread now into politics.

What?

Ford would have had Waterfront Toronto and projects like Sherbourne Commons cancelled. He called WT, as a publicly supported endeavor, an enourmous 'Boondoggle'.

You don't think that is politics, and relevant to this thread?! (!!!!!????)

For some here anything other than counting floor heights is considered boring and irrelevant.

While I don't think it makes sense to turn this thread into Ford bashing, I do think it is relevant that he did not show up given his implicit threats regarding Waterfront Toronto. This isn't just a matter of sniping at the mayor, but instead about whether WT will be thwarted by the city in the future.

I can't wait until it's finally finished (all the phases). It's going to be beautiful and an area that Torontonians can be proud of. It will be thriving with families, entertainment, parks (utilised all year round) and one of the best views of the city!

Rob Ford: He wanted a football field and has been open about his wanting to kill waterfront development and sell it off to the highest bidder (no plan, no vision, no development).

Doug Ford: the fact that a council member who decides on whether certain arts programmes get funded or libraries are allowed to remain open, doesn't know who Margaret Atwood is (an internationally-known artist) is rather alarming and very telling of the Fraud administration.

I can't wait until it's finally finished (all the phases). It's going to be beautiful and an area that Torontonians can be proud of. It will be thriving with families, entertainment, parks (utilised all year round) and one of the best views of the city!

Rob Ford: He wanted a football field and has been open about his wanting to kill waterfront development and sell it off to the highest bidder (no plan, no vision, no development).

Doug Ford: the fact that a council member who decides on whether certain arts programmes get funded or libraries are allowed to remain open, doesn't know who Margaret Atwood is (an internationally-known artist) is rather alarming and very telling of the Fraud administration.

actually i never knew of her either till this hit newspapers..... but seeing as how i am quite young (15) it is a little bit more understandable..... given it a few more months and i would've found her somewhere on the internet.....

YES I CANT WAIT EITHER!!!! it is so exciting....

actually i never knew of her either till this hit newspapers..... but seeing as how i am quite young (15) it is a little bit more understandable..... given it a few more months and i would've found her somewhere on the internet.....
Or read one of her books in school as many Canadians have done

Or read one of her books in school as many Canadians have done

yes i knew someone would say that..... unfortunatly her short stories musn't have left a lasting impression on me..... i would've much younger when i possibly could have read her short stories..... i know every novel i've read since grade 2 but we also read many short stories since then that i wouldnt remember

I'm actually not a fan. I haven't been in high school for eons, but back in the olden days :))) we started out with Surfacing in Grade 9 or 10 with The Handmaid's Tale in the higher grades. Maybe grab a copy of one of those and head on down to Sherbourne Commons to give it a try.

Here's a link to her works: http://www.margaretatwood.ca/books_by.php. I've read a bunch of them.

Last edited:
Margaret Atwood's most famous work is probably "The Handmaid's Tale", an SF novel which was a finalist for the 1986 Booker Prize (generally considered to be one of literature's highest honours), won the Arthur C. Clarke Award for science fiction, and was made into a movie.

Other than that, well-known novels include "The Edible Woman", "Cat's Eye" (finalist for the 1989 Booker Prize), "Alias Grace" (finalist for the 1996 Booker Prize), "The Blind Assassin" (winner of the 2000 Booker Prize) and "Oryx and Crake" (finalist for the 2003 Booker Prize).

In other words, she is generally considered to be one of the greatest living authors in the English-speaking world.

Last edited:
I'm actually not a fan. I haven't been in high school for eons, but back in the olden days :))) we started out with Surfacing in Grade 9 or 10 with The Handmaid's Tale in the higher grades. Maybe grab a copy of one of those and head on down to Sherbourne Commons to give it a try.

i wonder if we didnt read "to kill a mockingbird" then we might have read one of her books..... maybe next year (grade 10)....... yeah while it's still quiet..... soon this park will be loaded with people 24/7

Back